Thursday, March 20, 2008

Portions, Weight Watchers and Burritos

There has been a lot in the news lately about portion control. It is certainly something which isn't done very often in North America, all the fast food joints advertise bigger and better burgers and large sized cokes, etc. I must admit some of the ads one sees on TV make me feel sick there is so much stuff piled on one bun. But its not just fast food, a lot of ordinary restaurants do it too and I know at least one couple who aren't satisfied unless they can take a doggie bag home with them. Not everyone takes a doggie bag though, most of them eat what's there. Buffets are the worst, people pile their plates with food and then don't eat it all and still go back for more. They definitely consume way, way too much.

As for High Days and Holidays, the tables are groaning with food and people eat and eat and eat. Yes, I am guilty of doing this too although I don't eat as much as I did. I think age decreases one's appetite. When you think that a portion of meat or fish should be the size of a pack of cards, then think what most people consume, it is no wonder so many are obese. I hate that word, but it is the medical description of anyone really overweight, morbidly obese is even worse. Something I have never understood is how anyone can wear a bikini when they are so overweight. My one visit to the Dominican Republic shook me as there were huge women wearing bikinis, I was about a third of the size of some of them and wouldn't have dreamt of wearing a bikini. Wearing a swim suit was bad enough.

Having said all that by the way, I have now lost 13 lbs. which I am very pleased about. Mind you if I had kept off all the weight I have lost in my lifetime, I would be a Twiggy. Wasn't it Irma Bombeck who said something similar and that she could have ended up as a bracelet charm if she'd kept off all the weight. I do find using the Points Tracker on the Weight Watchers' site helps terrifically. I don't use anything else other than the weight tracker, none of the menus and so on. So often the menus contain foods I wouldn't eat anyway, or things I can eat a half of, what on earth do you do with the other half? Avocado springs to mind, Matt isn't keen on avocados and you certainly couldn't keep a half. I suppose guacamole would keep for a day, but then you have to add other things such as chips or crackers. Nope, no good.

Yesterday I gave you a dessert recipe, so only eat a small piece if you make it and are on a diet, today, how about burritos. We've had these several times and they are very good.

Chicken Burritos
Readers Digest Great Recipes
Serves: 4

1 Tbs corn or peanut oil
1 lb chicken meat cut into 1/2 in cubes
1 lge yellow onion finely chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 Tbs flour
2 tsp chili powder
1 tsp ground cumin
1/2 C chicken broth
1 C buttermilk
4 oz chopped green chilies, drained
2 tsp tomato paste
8 6 in flour tortillas

Preheat oven to 375F. In a heavy 10 in skillet heat the oil over moderate heat for 1 min. Add meat and cook, until no longer pink (unless using precooked meat) transfer meat to a bowl. Cook onion and garlic uncovered in same pan until soft. Blend in flour, chili powder and cumin and cook sitrring constantly for about 2 mins.

Stir in chicken broth, buttermilk, chilies and tomato paste. Reduce the heat to low and simmer uncovered for 4 to 5 mins or until slightly thickened. Return meat and stir.

Place a scant 1/4 C of the mixture on the lower third of each tortilla and roll it up like a cigar. Place seam side down in an ungreased baking plan and drizzle any remaining filling down the center.

Bake uncovered for 5 mins.

Have a great day.

No comments:

Post a Comment