Monday, September 8, 2008

Elections, Bowling, Dinner

I think I may have mentioned that I am sick to death of electioneering from the US which has been going on for months and will not finish until November. Now our own Prime Minister, Stephen Harper, has called an election which will take place on October 14. At least our campaigning won't take so long, but it means a double whammy of advertising on TV. As a friend of mine might say, oy vey. The picture is one posted by the Green Party, I am very tempted to vote for them as I would like to see a party get in who cared about the environment which it seems to me is not the case with most of them. I won't be around when the polar bears go extinct because of ruined habitat, or any other similar situations which will surely arise in the future, but I still care enough to want to do something about it. Here is a quote from the Green Party page "Harper said he wants to be involved in the anti-Kyoto plan to coax the US into joining Kyoto. That’s like saying the reason you're joining the bank robbers in the heist (is) to convince them to go straight." Today is bowling day for the first time this winter season. I have missed it for the last few weeks since the summer league ended. Even though it means practically eating my lunch at breakfast time because they start so early and parking is so difficult. The pity is we will bowl today and then next week will be away. Not sure if we will be back the following week. Depends if we are having fun and/or the weather is being nice to us. I hope I can bowl as well this season as I did during the summer season. Trouble is the winter crowd don't seem to care that much which I find has an effect on me. Had a delightful dinner on Saturday night at a friend's house. It was, unfortunately, a tad cool for sitting outside for long. We had a drink and then ate our hors d'ouvres outside, large grilled garlic shrimp accompanied by bread and a dipping sauce of which I ate far too much and then went in as it was a bit chilly. For a main course we had a choice of chicken Cordon Bleu or Kiev with veggies cooked on the barbecue and we finished up with a sinful chocolate mousse served with Cappucino ice cream. I know our hostess reads this blog now and then so thanks a bunch, it was good. Picture from myrecipes.com. It turns out that a lot of people don't like cold soups like the one I posted on Saturday. Sorry about that y'all, but I love them and I am going to post another from the same source, Home Basics. I suppose you could heat this one if you absolutely had to!! Curried Carrot Soup Source Home Basics Serves 4 1 Tbs butter 1 medium onion, chopped 2 tsp curry powder 2 tsp grated fresh ginger 5 medium carrots, peeled, cut into 1/2 inch pieces 2 cups chicken or vegetable broth 2 cups light cream, divided 1/2 tsp salt 1/2 cup plain yoghurt In a medium saucepan set over medium low heat, melt the butter. Add the onion and sauté 3 to 4 mins. or until softened. Add the curry powder and ginger and cook, stirring constantly, for 1 to 2 minutes. Add the carrots and broth, increase the heat to medium and cook covered for 25 to 30 mins or until the carrots are very tender. Remove from the heat and let cool for 5 minutes. Stir in 1 cup of cream. Purée the soup in a blender or processor until completely smooth. Add the remaining cream and salt and blend again to mix. Transfer to a covered container and refrigerate until completely chilled, at least 2 hours or overnight. To serve, ladle soup into individual bowls and swirl a generous dollop of yoghurt into each. Have a great day.

2 comments:

  1. What vegetables did your hostess cook on the barbecue?

    Sinful chocolate mousse. :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ru - we had asparagus and cherry tomatoes plus some potatoes mixed with onions which were very good too. Actually it was our host that did the cooking, his wife runs a business which takes up a lot of her time so he has taken over the cooking.

    ReplyDelete