Wednesday, January 21, 2009

The Obama's, The Longest Day

I didn't know if we would, but we watched the inauguration - they made a bit of a botch of the swearing in didn't they. However, his speech was excellent. Apart from the subject, he is very impressive in his ability to talk for a half hour without reference to one bit of paper. His speech didn't hold any punches either, I haven't seen (and don't want to) any of the thousand of analyses which I am sure have been on TV, but I can imagine quite a number of political fat cats will not have liked it. Michelle Obama's outfit was attractive. It is described as being lemon grass yellow, but it looked gold in most lights. It was made of lace backed by wool and layered with some sparklies around the neck. Watching Obama himself, I was fascinated by the lapel pin of the American flag which was flashing in the sunlight. I was wondering what it was made of. The way it was catching the light, it could well have been diamonds. I can't find anything which tells me about its composition, just political stuff about his wearing it or not wearing it. Michelle Obama's ball gown wasn't widely featured this morning although I managed to find some pictures of it. It was a creamy satin appliquéed with white flowers in a one shouldered design. The pictures of them dancing together show them both looking very happy as I guess they should. He has made the top job in the country after all. I hope he will continue to look as happy as his term progresses. I wouldn't want to try and sort out the mess he has inherited. Last night we watched The Longest Day which is about D-Day on June 6, 1944. We have seen it several times before but it is an excellent movie. Absolutely everyone is in it - well as far as male actors go, there aren't too many females in the cast. The cast list must read like a who's who in the cinema. I am not sure how long the film really is, but it went on for four hours which, of course, included lots of advertising. If you've never seen it, its worth watching and will tell you what your parents and grandparents or even great grandparents, went through on that day. I forgot to boast about my bowling on Monday, I got four strikes in a row. For me that is totally unheard of. I was thrilled to bits. In fact out of three games, only one wasn't very good. I don't understand why this happens, nor does anyone else of course. If you watch the top bowlers on TV they too end up with stupid things happening to them. I found this soup in my United Nations cookbook. I thought it looked an interesting soup and that is always something I enjoy. Finnish Summer Vegetable Soup (Kesäkeitto) Serves 6 4 small carrots, diced 6 oz. green peas 1/2 small cauliflower, broken in small florets 3 small new potatoes, diced 4 oz. French beans, sliced 4 radishes, cut in half Boiling water 2 level tsp. salt 1 1/2 level tbs sugar 3 oz. chopped spinach 3/4 oz. butter 1 1/2 level tbs flour 1 egg yolk 3/4 pt. milk 4 Tbs cream 6 oz. shrimp, cooked and deveined. Combine all prepared vegetables, except spinach, in a large pan. Cover with boiling water; add salt and sugar and simmer for about 45 minutes. Add spinach and simmer for a further 10 minutes. Combine melted butter and flour in a second pan; combine egg, milk and cream then stir into butter and flour. Add cooked vegetables and some of the liquid (not more than 3/4 pint). Add shrimp and heat through. Serve hot immediately. NOTE: These measurements are for an English pint which is 20 fl. oz. Have a great day.

2 comments:

  1. So many hopes on Obama, that seems to be such a big thing to wear on his shoulders !

    I know this film about the longest day, i agree it's a nice film. In the same kind of history i've been wathing the schindler list on tv, we were so sad after the film !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Schindler's list was an excellent film, I agree. I haven't seen it for quite a while though.

    ReplyDelete