Friday, August 21, 2009

Vacation, Books.

The cottage, Sugar Shack, we are renting in NC has a King Sized bed and we don't so we have to borrow sheets from our friends. Yesterday they popped in quickly to bring us a set. Early days yet, still a few more weeks to go. However, we are gathering stuff together in our spare room that we don't want to forget. We haven't yet bought ourselves any US dollars which we need on the way down there sometimes. We pay for a lot of things on our credit card, but one often needs cash for and it somehow disappears. One thing we are taking is a radio. There is a TV but we tend to play the radio all day long if the TV is not on. A lot of people tend to leave their TV on all day long, but that would drive me nuts. I have just got hold of the last book in the Twilight series by Stephenie Meyer - Breaking Dawn. Just looking for the cover picture I see Stephenie Meyer is being accused of taking ideas from Jordan Scott's The Nocturne for this last novel. If you would like to read more about it click here. Never having read The Nocturne and not yet having read Breaking Dawn, I have no idea of the truth behind these allegations of plagiarism. Of course its a good way to get people to read Scott's book isn't it? I also got hold of a couple more Mercedes Lackey Books which I haven't come across before, The Phoenix Unchained and The Phoenix Endangered which are part of her Enduring Flame Trilogy. I am not sure why I haven't come across these before, I usually end up devouring her books. I have been rereading a lot of her writings lately, particularly the Heralds of Valdemar Series which I really love and am thoroughly enjoying reading again. Just finished a couple of the Gryphon series, Black and White Gryphon, haven't got hold of Silver Gryphon yet. You will gather I don't read a lot of books which are not fantasy or sci fi any more. Having said that, I have got my name down for the latest Michael McGarrity book at the library, Dead or Alive. This is the most recent in his stories about a cop, Kevin Kerney, all of which I have thoroughly enjoyed. They are set in New Mexico and the area sounds fantastic, especially if you ride. Amongst the many ezines I get on a daily basis is Recipe du Jour which is published by Richard Rowand , Simply Tim and Walt Mills. They not only have recipes but little stories or daily thoughts about everything and anything which are always great to read. Today they published the following salmon recipe which I borrowed for my blog because I know at least one of my readers is very fond of salmon. Spiced Roast Salmon 1 teaspoon ground cumin 1 teaspoon ground coriander 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme 1/2 teaspoon fennel seeds, crushed 1/2 teaspoon black pepper 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves 4 (6-ounce) salmon fillets (about 1 1/4-inches thick) 1/2 teaspoon salt 1 teaspoon olive oil 1/4 cup plain fat-free yogurt 4 lemon wedges Heat oven to 400°F. Combine first 8 ingredients in a shallow dish. Sprinkle fillets with salt; dredge fillets in spice mixture. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add fillets, skin sides up; cook 5 minutes or until bottoms are golden. Turn fillets over. Wrap handle of skillet with foil; bake at 400°F for 10 minutes or until fish flakes easily when tested with a fork. Remove skin from fillets; discard skin. Serve with yogurt and lemon wedges. Yield: 4 servings. Have a great day.

2 comments:

  1. Salmon, Yummee. The Stephanie Meyer received quite a big splash here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've enjoyed Stephenie Meyer's books, its an e in the middle by the way, not an a. I was thinking of you when I posted the salmon recipe.

    ReplyDelete