Friday, October 30, 2009

Tim Hortons, Medical Stuff.

The donuts were good (well I only had one) but the bowling wasn't the greatest for me. Matt had one very good game. However, the main thing, we had fun, with both lunch and the bowling. Lots of laughs and nice to be with good friends whom we haven't seen for a while. Weather was slightly foggy and very dull all day, but the maples in their golden glory brightened up everything as we passed. Talking of donuts (we don't even spell them the same way in North America) there is a well known and very successful chain of coffee shops here called Tim Hortons. There is practically one on every corner. They do excellent coffee and obviously, donuts, but they also have quite a variety of other foods available these days including things for lunch. Tim Horton was a hockey player once upon a time (that's ice hockey for Europeans) and started the chain in 1964. If you are interested click here for the full story. When I first came to Canada I was surprised to eat a Tim Hortons donut which is quite different from those I was used to in England. The texture is not the same at all, these are more cakey if you know what I mean. Of course I haven't had an English donut in over 30 years, so I have no idea what they are like today. I was actually not too keen on the Canadian version when I first tasted one. Unfortunately I changed, now when there is a box full available, I am one of the first in line. This morning I went to have my bloodwork done at a local clinic, very convenient, its just down the road. I couldn't believe it, I got there just before 7 and there were 18 people before me (they give us numbers). I guess I will have to start getting there earlier. There wasn't a seat to be had, but luckily one young man offered his to me - something which doesn't happen very often these days - I was very grateful as I am not good at standing any more. This afternoon is our regular Friday bowling leage and then we go for our H1N1 shots at the doctors. There is something of a row taking place at the moment, one of the stations, sorry I forget which, is showing a revealing description and video of how a woman should self examine for breast cancer. There are people saying a woman's breast should not have been used and a model should have been substituted. Particularly on TV. There are, in fact, several such instruction videos on the internet; many women do not know how to properly self examine for cancer and the feeling is that showing such a video on TV will help such women and maybe save lives. Personally I agree. As one woman pointed out, if you really want to see women's breasts sexually there are many other places you can do so, not least on the internet. If you are a dumb cluck like me, who never went for a mammogram until recently and certainly never knew how to properly examine myself, you will check out these videos. This recipe came from Joe Barkson's World Wide Recipes, however, the picture came from a different source so it shows the truffles covered in ground hazelnuts instead of chocolate. Obviously you can do this if you prefer. I will NOT be making these, I would have trouble keeping my hands off them. The box of Ferrero Rocher I can, kind of, forget, but having these sitting around would be way too much temptation for me. Chocolate Hazelnut Truffles 6 oz (180 g) unsweetened chocolate, chopped 8 Tbs (120 ml) unsalted butter 4 Tbs (60 ml) cream 2/3 cup (160 ml) sifted confectioner's (powdered) sugar 4 Tbs (60 ml) finely ground hazelnuts Cocoa, chocolate pastilles, or chocolate shot for covering Melt the chocolate and butter together in a double boiler or in a heavy pot over very low heat. Stir in the cream. Add the sugar and hazelnuts gradually, stirring to eliminate lumps before adding more. Cover and refrigerate for at least 4 hours. Form individual balls by rolling about a teaspoonful (5 ml) in between the palms of your hands. The warmth of your hands will melt the surface just enough for the covering to adhere. Roll in the covering and refrigerate. For best flavor, remove from refrigerator 2 hours before serving. Makes about 6 oz (175 g). Have a great day.

2 comments:

  1. Yes, it is truffle time - I will be having a lot!

    Donuts too. I love them, and if I buy a box with two or three, be sure to know I eat them all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In that case you should be very overweight and from your picture, you aren't. Lucky woman.

    ReplyDelete