Monday, November 23, 2009

Floods, Books, Red Cabbage,

As you have probably heard on the news, there has been lots of flooding in the north west of England, the area is Cumbria, commonly known as the Lake District. A friend, who lives in the area, sent me a link to the online page of a BBC Cumbria and I thought you might like to see the pictures, some of which are the aftermath of the risen waters. Click here to go to BBC Cumbria's web site. There are stacks of pictures taken by people and submitted to the BBC for this page. This is one of them. This has been the worst rain in the area for 1,000 years, which is quite a long time!!! Of course there has been flooding in several other areas as well as in Ireland. Now I hear there is flooding in British Columbia, Canada, too. Yesterday I finished The Phoenix Unchained which is the last book in The Enduring Flame Trilogy by Mercedes Lackey and James Mallory. I very much enjoyed the three books and have discovered there is another called The Obsidian Trilogy which I shall have to investigate. I have always loved books by Mercedes Lackey since I first discovered the Valdemar series so I always pick her books when I find them. However, it appears James Mallory is a well established author so I must check out some of his books too. As I mentioned, we went to dinner at the home of some friends on Saturday evening and had a good time with a delicious meal. The main course was a schnitzel with mushrooms and our hostess served red cabbage which I love, but cooked some beans for Matt as he is not so fond of red cabbage in the German style. I was offered seconds but hadn't got the teensiest bit of room left. The German red cabbage is a different thing altogether from the brined red cabbage we have in England and eat as a relish with things like lamb hot pots. I have never actually made the German version, I should ask for a recipe. I have made the other kind, my mother and Matt made it for me once as a surprise and later I tried making it myself. I have asked my friend for a recipe but she doesn't have one, just one of those prepared by taste. Usually the best kind. However, here is a recipe I found on Allrecipes which sounds as though it would be pretty good. German Red Cabbage Submitted By: Ardis Stauffer Photo By: cookin'mama Servings: 6 "If your family likes the sweet-tart flavor found in many German dishes, they'll enjoy this recipe. The cabbage, apples and onions are cooked with vinegar, sugar and a variety of spices-the end result can't be beat!" Ingredients: 1 medium head red cabbage, cored and sliced 2 large tart apples, peeled and sliced 1 medium sweet onion, sliced and separated into rings 1 1/2 cups water 1 cup cider vinegar 1/2 cup sugar 1 tablespoon butter 1 teaspoon salt 6 whole peppercorns 2 whole allspice 2 whole cloves 1 bay leaf 2 teaspoons cornstarch 2 teaspoons cold water Directions: 1. In a Dutch oven, toss cabbage, apples and onion. Add water, vinegar, sugar, butter and salt. Place the peppercorns, allspice, cloves and bay leaf on a double thickness of cheesecloth; bring up corners of cloth and stir with kitchen string to form a bag. Add to Dutch oven. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1-1/4 hours. 2. Discard spice bag. In a small bowl, combine cornstarch and cold water until smooth; stir in cabbage mixture. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Have a great day.

2 comments:

  1. I am not a cabbage person, but I often come across red cabbage in salads.

    I am booked on a day-tour of the Lake District next month, so I am now wondering whether the tour company will let me know that they've had to cancel.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love cabbage in most of its forms, and I particularly enjoy German red cabbage.

    I hope you will find you can tour the Lake District next month. Funnily enough I have never been there although Matt used to cycle there when he was somewhat younger. Its supposed to be absolutely beautiful.

    ReplyDelete