Friday, November 20, 2009

GPS, Oasis of the Seas, Baby Horse.

Whilst we were driving to the doctor's appointment yesterday I checked my GPS system again, having got it sorted in between trips, lo and behold, it works - she talked to me too, although it wasn't very loud. We have decided that it wouldn't be easy to use the system on your own though - well Matt would never be able to set it up anyway, but if you had the laptop on the passenger seat, I don't know that you would hear it very well. I left the little yellow GPS gadget in the glove pocket for any time in the future. We will definitely need it when I go bowling in Hamilton in February. A lot about Oasis of the Seas again this morning. They have a team on board including Sam Champion the weatherman - he walked around deck 15 and it took him 14 minutes. Passing several pools on the way I might say. I don't remember everything they have on board, surfing was one thing they showed this morning There's lots all about it on the GMA website and also here. Matt and I have both decided we would NOT want to cruise on her. There's just too much and it wouldn't be like being on a ship at all, let alone over 6,000 other passengers. It would be like floating in a city and I would prefer going to sea in a ship if you can understand what I mean. Being that top heavy, I can't help wondering what would happen in a really good storm too. I don't know what her draft is (how much water she needs to float in) but I know they had to deepen her home harbour and some of the other places she is expected to visit. 72 m or 236 ft. according to Wikipedia, that's one hell of a draft. If you are interested in the technical details go to this site and read all the statistics plus they have more pictures. One of the TV people described her as a floating city of fun. I received an email yesterday about a teeny tiny horse born on a stud farm in Australia. I just had to show you the pictures. Isn't that just the cutest little critter you ever did see? Even the breeders didn't know it was ready to be born and one morning they called the mother, Bliss, and she came out of the stable with the baby in tow. Eating Well are promoting healthy holiday breakfasts and this is one of them. I love smoked salmon in any form so this is a good one for me. Egg & Salmon Sandwich From EatingWell: July/August 2008 Smoked salmon and egg whites on a toasted whole-wheat English muffin is the perfect power breakfast. For a more substantial meal, pair it with a piece of fruit or a glass of 100% juice. 1 sandwich Ingredients * 1/2 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil * 1 tablespoon finely chopped red onion * 2 large egg whites, beaten * Pinch of salt * 1/2 teaspoon capers, rinsed and chopped (optional) * 1 ounce smoked salmon * 1 slice tomato * 1 whole-wheat English muffin, split and toasted Preparation 1. Heat oil in a small nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring, until it begins to soften, about 1 minute. Add egg whites, salt and capers (if using) and cook, stirring constantly, until whites are set, about 30 seconds. 2. To make the sandwich, layer the egg whites, smoked salmon and tomato on English muffin. Have a great day.

2 comments:

  1. What a huge cruise liner. So many people to be fed and entertained!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know, their staff numbers in the thousands too. A floating city.

    ReplyDelete