Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Cholera and Shopping.

Last night there were lots of horrifying statistics broadcast about the cholera in Haiti. Possibly 2,000 dead, between 50,000 to 70,000 sick and thousands more expected to become sick and yet they are still going ahead with the election. Seems somewhat irrational. By the way, the actor, Sean Penn, has been on the ground in Haiti for the last year since the earthquake happened. My admiration for him has increased by leaps and bounds. He appears to be mainly involved in clearing up the devastation, removing the rubble and making areas at least partially habitable.

This morning I have decided to go with my husband on his early shopping trip, he gets to the store shortly after 7 and as they have carts which can be driven, I have decided to go as well. There are things he doesn’t see – he sticks to the list and mostly that’s that. If either of us forget to put something down, we don’t get it. I am more likely to look at what’s there – of course I am more likely to overspend too *g*. Its funny, when I saw the vascular surgeon I said I wanted to go shopping, I have no doubt he thought I meant the kind of shopping most women love, looking at clothes and fashion items. I didn’t, I meant grocery shopping. Very unfeminine of me, but I generally hate to shop. So, only a short blog.

For all of you in the States who are about to cook yourselves silly on Thursday with a Turkey, all the trimmings and Pumpkin or Apple Pies, here is a cranberry relish which would make a nice change from the general run of the mill cranberry sauces.

Gingered Cranberry-Raspberry Relish

From EatingWell:  October/November 2006

Unlike cranberry sauce, a relish involves no cooking. Here, plump raspberries add a juicy freshness, while crystallized ginger provides sweetness and warmth. It is best served cold. Hold the mayo on your post-holiday sandwiches—use this relish instead for a real treat.

About 4 cups Ingredients

1 12-ounce package fresh cranberrGingered Cranberry Relishies

1/2 cup granulated sugar

1/2 cup crystallized ginger, minced, (choose soft nuggets over disks, if possible)

3 cups raspberries, (2 pints), fresh or frozen (not thawed)

Preparation
  1. Pulse cranberries in a food processor until coarsely chopped. Transfer to a medium bowl. Stir in sugar and crystallized ginger. Gently stir in raspberries—it's fine to crush some of them. Cover and refrigerate for at least 3 hours to let the flavors combine.
Tips & Notes
  • Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 1 week.

Have a great day

Jo

3 comments:

  1. Jo, I'm going to try the relish. My mom is having Thanksgiving at her house with her troop of kids and grands. I know she'd love this too.

    Our family is a very large group, even when only half show up so mom sets the menu and we all make something and bring it. Lots of fun.

    btw, I hate shopping. I have girlfriends that love to shop, love to window shop too. When I hear the words, Oh, let have some fun, lets go shopping, I shudder. lol!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cranberry sauce looks wonderful. Love cranberries and love everything in this recipe. We will have 11 family members and friends here. Turkey has been brining since Monday. Gravy is made. Everyone brings something to share. Muriel

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooh Sia and Muriel, I am so jealous. I used to enjoy Thanksgiving so much when we lived in the States. You make so much more of it than we do in Canada. Now I wonder which one lives closest so I could pop down for dinner *g*. Hope you both have a great day.

    ReplyDelete