Thursday, December 9, 2010

Hey Down South! Diabetes, Snow in Paris.

Don’t Americans know we’re here? I get so fed up with all kinds of stores saying they are running a wonderful sweepstakes and then finding I can’t enter, I just tried to download an MP3 song from Amazon.com, can’t, because I am not in the States. This keeps occurring again and again. Wheel of Fortune is another example I remembered, they have a prize puzzle and if you are a member, an American member that is, you can win too, but there is a big, bold sign which says “open to US residents only”. Yoohoo, we are here guys, part of the same continent of North America. We have even been described as America’s Hat!! You market your products to us so we should be able to take advantage of your marketing ploys.

I am not sure if I will be home when this publishes, have to go have my regular diabetes blood tests this morning, a very important aspect of diabetes management. I have been hearing a lot, lately, about people who have not been managing their diabetes properly, scary. I have heard for years about people losing feet and/or legs because of diabetes which terrified me long before I had the disease and I cannot imagine anyone being stupid enough to ignore the problem. Actually my mother more or less did, once upon a time she did take medication, but by the end of her life she wasn’t taking it – she was lucky, she never had to have any amputations. In those days I didn’t realise how serious it was. This week, Eating Well are promoting Kraft’s Living With Diabetes which include lots of diabetes friendly recipes using Kraft products.

Just heard the Eiffel Tower was shut down yesterday due to snow, how funny, especially as we have little snow here at all. Matt said the weather map showed a circular area which included us and which was not getting snow. They are saying we shall be joining the rest of the world at the end of this week though. I just looked at a weather map and the snow seems to be heading right for us.Snow on the Way

You can click and enlarge that map if you wish. We live among the Great Lakes which are not terribly visible. The large expanse of blue is Hudson Bay, I had never registered how huge it is. The Great Lakes are enormous inland seas and look at the comparison! But, as you will see, this is from last night, and the snow is definitely about to hit us.

The following came from Mushrooms Canada who have lots of good recipes to share.

Mushroom Pita Pockets

Serves 8

12 oz medium mushrooms, thinly sliced 375 g
1/2 cup each diced red pepper, cucumMushroom PitaPocketsber 125 mL
and green onion 125 mL
1/3 cup grated old Cheddar cheese (optional) 375 mL
3/4 cup no fat herb or Italian dressing 175 mL
4 pita (6-7 “/15-17 cm) halved 4
8 small lettuce leaves 8

Fresh herb sprigs (optional) dill, coriander, basil, or
oregano

In large bowl, combine mushrooms, red pepper, cucumber, onion, cheese (if using) and dressing. Toss to mix well. Open pita halves and place lettuce leaf in each pita half. Spoon filling evenly into the pita
halves. Garnish with fresh herbs if desired.

Variation: Spread 1tbsp (15 mL) low fat mayonnaise inside each pita half.

Have a great day

Jo

2 comments:

  1. Not only the Eiffel Tower, so too Versailles and various other chateaux and museums. It was a super class blizzard we had. But today the sun shone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How much accumulation did you actually get? I know England got a lot but Scotland got lots more.

    ReplyDelete