Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Blog Books, Spring, Movie.

Yesterday, on the way back from the docs, we stopped at Staples to buy a binder and some paper to print up my latest blog book – ending Dec. 31, 2010. Its over 400 pages. It wasn’t until I started printing them that I realised just how much I write in a year. As I said in someone else’s blog, I like writing, but I perhaps need to figure out a way I can get paid for doing so. Like writing for a local paper or something. Not sure what I would write for a paper, have to be about food perhaps.

One of my blogging friends, Sia McKay, lives in Missouri and is posting pictures of apple blossoms and talking of daffodils and tulips. I am so jealous, we haven’t Daffodileven a sign of a bit of blossom or a new green leaf yet even though the groundhog (Wiarton Willie) predicted winter would end tomorrow. I guess the forecasters were correct when they announced, at the beginning of this month, that Willie was wrong. I have no doubt that spring is sprung in England too, last time I was there in March the crocus were well out, with daffodils on their way. That is one of the things I miss about having my own home, not having spring flowers. We used to have a wonderful display of daffodils in North Carolina not to mention our azaleas which were wonderful.

I was going through back issues of this blog and Dawn Treadercannot find that I mentioned going to see The Voyage of the Dawn Treader which is one of the Narnia movies, the third one. As usual, I thoroughly enjoyed it, as did my friend. I have still not discovered how they do the lion which is very much a lion and looks totally real. It’s amazing what they can do these days, the mouse, Reepicheep is another one which is so very well done, well all the animals are. When it comes out on DVD I must get a copy of it. I am not sure if its out yet, its not that long since I went to see the movie.

I mentioned "pills for cancer" the other day, I discovered last night they are talking about iodine pills which help prevent thyroid cancer which can be caused by radiation poisoning. Doesn't appear to do anything for all the other cancers which can be caused by radiation though.

I am very fond of muffins and when these recipes dropped into my inbox, I really wanted to eat some straight away. I am not especially fond of marshmallows, but these look so good I thought I would share them with you. Of course the recipe had me at Double Chocolate.

Double Chocolate-Marshmallow Rocky Road Muffins

Source: Cooking.com

These moist, ultra-chocolate muffins become tiny molten marshmallow volcanoes as they bake. For a less marshmallowy, more fudgy effect, use halved marshmallows in place of whole ones. INGREDIENTS

2 ounces unsweetened chocolate, choppedDouble Choc Marshmallow Rocky Rd. Muffins

6 tablespoons unsalted butter

1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour

2/3 cup sugar

1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder (NOT Dutch process)

1 tablespoon baking powder

1/2 teaspoon baking soda

1/2 teaspoon salt

1 1/4 cup buttermilk or unsweetened yogurt

1 egg

1 teaspoon vanilla

1/2 cup fine quality bittersweet chocolate chips, plus more for topping

12 regular-size marshmallows

1/4 cup chopped almonds

DIRECTIONS

Set oven rack in center position and preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Line 12-cup standard muffin tin with paper liners, place tin on baking sheet and set aside.

Melt chocolate and butter together over double boiler or by placing in microwave on high for 20 - 25 seconds, stirring, and returning to microwave for additional 15 - 20 seconds. Stir until smooth and set aside.

In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt.

In a separate small bowl, whisk together until well blended the buttermilk (or yogurt), egg and vanilla.

Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and pour in the buttermilk (or yogurt) mixture and the melted chocolate mixture. Stir gently until ingredients are partially mixed, add 1/2 cup chocolate chips, and stir until just mixed. Do not overmix! Batter should be a bit lumpy and spongy.

Place a heaping tablespoon or more of batter in each prepared muffin cup so that the base is well covered. Nestle a marshmallow deeply into the center of each cup, pushing it down into the batter. With the rest of the batter, finish filling the cups, surrounding and covering the marshmallows. The batter will mound up a bit in each cup.

Top each muffin with a sprinkling of chopped almonds and chocolate chips.

Put filled pan, still on baking sheet, in oven on center rack and bake for 20 minutes. The marshmallow may bubble up from the tops.

Remove and cool muffins, still in pan, for 3 or 4 minutes, then carefully remove from pan and allow to cool on rack. Serve slightly warm or at room temperature.

Have a great day

Jo

No comments:

Post a Comment