Saturday, May 21, 2011

Oops, Asparagus, Cooking, Photography

Correction to yesterday’s blog. The Escargot recipe came from a friend who lives in the PhilippinLumpiaes, nothing to do with Singapore. Sorry about that. When she pointed out my mistake, I instantly started thinking of the dish a friend from the Philippines used to make for us – lumpia, a bit like Chinese spring rolls. I could eat some of those right now.

Because I was running late yesterday, I forgot to mention that Emeril Lagasse was doing asparagus recipes on Good Morning America. One was a risotto. To me it was a shrimp risotto with asparagus and was probably delicious, but an asparagus only risotto is delicious too. He started by making a stock with shrimp shells, I tried that and we didn’t think it tasted of anything much at all, very disappointing. He did come up with one dish which I liked the sound of, so I have posted it below.

Last night I made an asparagus risotto for us which was very good. We will have leftovers tonight, don’t tell anyone. You are definitely not supposed to re-heat a risotto. Also tonight, Matt is going to make the Asparagus Phyllo BundlesAsparagus Phyllo Bundles which I really like, the recipe for which I published on May 10 this year. It is a Paula Deen recipe and we have made it innumerable times over the years.

As for the risotto, I make it fairly simply. I cook a pound of asparagus until it is almost done, I then allow it to cool somewhat. Meanwhile I sauté 1 Tbs of finely chopped onion in about 1 oz. of butter and a little olive oil until translucent. I chop up the Asparagus risottoasparagus in 1“ pieces, reserving the tips. I add 1 cup of arborio rice and the asparagus to the onion. Allow them to sauté for a minute or two then start adding hot chicken stock slowly, about a ladle full at a time stirring constantly until the rice has absorbed 4 cups of stock. This takes around 25 minutes, do not add more stock until the previous addition has been absorbed. I then remove the pan from the heat, stir in another ounce of butter, 2 Tbs of Parmesan cheese and the asparagus tips. Check for seasoning and serve. Delicioso.

Been talking, on Facebook, about food photography. Must admit I don’t do a lot of it, I cheat and get pictures from the web a lot of the time, but I do take pictures of things I cook now and again. I am not a very good photographer unfortunately, whatever I am taking a picture of. I guess I will have to try a bit harder with my food pix. The viewer is supposed to want to eat what you show. It is an undoubted fact that a cookbook with good photographs is more inspiring than one without any. If you know what its supposed to look like it is more encouraging.

Emeril's Asparagus Salad with Walnut Oil Vinaigrette

From the Kitchen of Emeril Lagasseasparagus_salad

Servings: 6

Can't figure out what to make for dinner? Give this salad a try.

Ingredients

1/4 cup white wine vinegar
1 tablespoon minced shallot
2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
3/4 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/4 cup walnut oil
2 pounds asparagus, trimmed and steamed until just tender
1/3 cup toasted, chopped walnuts
1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley leaves
Salt and freshly ground black pepper

Directions

In a large bowl whisk together the vinegar, shallot, mustard, salt and pepper. While continuing to whisk, add the vegetable oil
in a very thin stream, whisking constantly. Whisk in the walnut oil.

Place asparagus on platter and pour dressing over asparagus. Garnish with walnuts and parsley. Taste and adjust seasoning if necessary. Serve immediately.

This recipe was styled by chef Karen Pickus for Good Morning America.

Have a great weekend and for Canadians, happy Victoria Day.

Jo

No comments:

Post a Comment