Monday, July 18, 2011

Heat, Mail, More Medical and Grammar

“We’re having a heatwave, a tropical heatwave” although nobody is can candoing the can can. But we are having lots of heat and of course, lots of humidity which is not welcome. I did a bit of sitting out on our balcony, not the best place in the world to sunbathe, but… I want to get a little protection for when we go down to NC in September. The couple who are coming with us, the wife is OK because she golfs and has a good colour already, not sure about him.

Sunday I spent some time printing up my blog book for the beginning Basil Cafeof this year and noticed I had written about the Basil Café which we went to for lunch one day because it’s near the doctor’s. However, our doctor has now moved, so I guess we won’t be going there again, pity. A letter about the move is another item which has disappeared in the maw of the Post Office strike. I heard a statement last week that the backlog would be cleared by last Friday, well, I don’t know, but we are still missing several pieces of mail including one Father’s Day card and two bank statements.

This morning we both have a very early appointment at the Optometristoptometrist’s for our annual check up. I must have been crazy, I never book appointments for 8:50 a.m., that means I had to get up really early. Lunch will be at the bowling alley for our summer league banquet – basically sandwiches and desserts. We then do a couple of fun games and that’s it until the winter season.

My friend Satima, Satima’s Blogspot (see link this page) has recently been talking about grammar and in her latest post about verbs, I finally understand just how Yoda’s speech was figured out. I have often tried to imitate it but could never get it quite right, now I know why. Read the blog, its interesting.

I have mentioned that we like frittatas before and here is one I thought sounded interesting.

Leek and Spinach Frittata

By The Sprouted Kitchen
WebMD Recipe from Foodily.com

Picture of Leek and Spinach Fritatta I like to use more whites to make it a bit lighter, if you like a richer egg dish, use 10 whole eggs.

Ingredients

2 Whole Eggs
10 Egg Whites
1/3 Cup Milk
2 Leeks, White and Light Green Parts, Thinly Sliced
1 tbsp. Butter
1 Cup Fresh Steamed Spinach
¾ Cup Shredded Cheese (I used Goat’s Milk Gouda)
2 tsp. Hot Sauce
1 Cup Baby Heirloom Tomatoes, Halved
Fresh Basil
Salt and Pepper to Taste

Instructions

Preheat oven to 500’

Warm the butter in a saucepan (preferably non stick) on medium heat, add the sliced leeks and sauté until they begin to caramelize, about 10 minutes.

In a large bowl, whisk the eggs, egg whites, hot sauce and milk. Incorporate some air and break them up, whisk about 4 minutes, yes, your arm will start to hurt. Add a good pinch of salt and pepper.

Squeeze as much water possible out of the steamed spinach, give it a rough chop, and squeeze again.

Distribute the leeks in the pan, as this will be your frittata base. Turn the heat back to medium and pour the egg mixture on top. Scatter in the chopped spinach and the shredded cheese and allow the mix to sit for a minute. Use a spatula to lift up the sides.

As it starts to firm up, lay your tomatoes on the top, cut side up. Put the entire pan into the oven on the top rack. Let it bake for about 8 minutes and check. It should be set, but still have a little give when you push on the middle. Remove and let it cool a bit before serving. This recipe goes well with some fresh chopped basil and a dollop of Greek yogurt.

Total Servings: 6

Have a great day

Jo_thumb[2]

2 comments:

  1. Love the new look, Jo.

    I think the whole continent is baking in this heat. If you look at the heat map, there are only a very few green spots. Heat advisories galore for our area until Saturday. Let's hope for a nice cooling rain.

    Sia McKye's Thoughts...OVER COFFEE

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Sia, I am still experimenting.

    I don't think its as hot here as dahn sahth, but they are talking 36C on Thursday which is 97 F but that's without the humidity. Rain is very much wanted here, we are getting to drought conditons I think.

    ReplyDelete