Friday, August 19, 2011

Old Coin, Fish, Blogging

300 yr old gold coinAt an archaeological dig in Newfoundland, they have discovered a 300 yr. old gold coin from Portugal, read here The coin was minted in 1708 and was bent in an S shape signifying it may have been presented as a love token to a woman. She thought a lot of it obviously, LOL. Apart from the fact that it was gold and she must have lost it somewhere. At one time the town was sacked by the French, but that was before this coin was minted, so she had no excuse. It is in fact the second gold coin found there in Ferryland, Nfld. the first was an even older Scottish coin.

For health reasons we should eat more fish, particularly if you don’t fish_monger_at_fish_marketeat fish at all. Here is a quiz from WebMD to see what you know about fish. Fish Quiz I didn’t do too well the first time, but I got 100% the second time. Well for a start I had no idea about pregnant women and fish, well that’s my excuse anyway. We both enjoy fish – unfortunately, living so far from the sea, it is a very expensive commodity in Ontario.

Yesterday I had the devil’s own job posting my blog from Windows Live Writer. I hope I have no difficulty today. What I had to do was copy it all over to the Blogger site then reinsert all the headers and pictures. Took forever. Until I try, I won’t know if I have the problem today. I do hope not. I have been blogging from my laptop lately so I can keep my feet up (oedema from my op) so haven’t checked it out on my desktop.

I guess I now have to post a fish recipe. This is a poached salmon recipe. I had a friend who always poached her salmon in the microwave, she swore it was the best tasting poached fish possible.

Cold Poached Salmon with Ginger Mayonnaise

The Homemakers Test Kitchen

Cold poached fish, especially salmon, is a classic summer dish. For a salmon on mayonnaiserefreshing light meal, serve with cucumber salad or cooled, blanched summer vegetables and a fresh baguette from the bakery.

Ingredients

1 piece (2 inches/5 cm) gingerroot

4 green onions

2 tbsp (30 mL) rice vinegar

4 salmon fillets (each 4 to 5 oz/125 to 150 g)

1/3 cup (75 mL) mayonnaise, light or regular

2 tsp (10 mL) sesame oil

Salt and white pepper or pepper

Preparation

Thinly slice half of the ginger; finely grate enough of the remaining ginger to make 2 tsp (10 mL). Cut white parts of onions into 1-inch (2.5 cm) lengths; finely slice green parts and place in small bowl of ice water. Set aside.
In saucepan just large enough to hold salmon in one layer, pour in enough water to come 2 inches (5 cm) up side of pan; add sliced ginger, white parts of onions, 4 tsp (20 mL) of the vinegar and 1 tsp (5 mL) salt. Bring to boil; reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes. Add salmon; cover and cook at bare simmer just until fish flakes easily when tested, 4 to 6 minutes. Remove fish with slotted spoon; let cool.

(Make-ahead: Cover and refrigerate for up to 1 day.)
Drain green parts of onions. Mix mayonnaise with grated ginger, onions, remaining vinegar, sesame oil and ¼ tsp (1 mL) pepper. Serve with salmon.

Serving(s) 4

Have a great day

Jo_thumb[2]

No comments:

Post a Comment