Thursday, October 27, 2011

Flu Shot, Health Care, Tsnumai Debris, Snakes.

Tuesday we went for our flu shots. Somewhat flu vaccinedifferent from previous years and this time I was given a different injection as I am allergic to tetanus shots. I am wondering, I normally have a very sore arm for a week or so although Matt doesn’t, we shall see what happens this time. I noticed, in September, flu shots were available at drug stores in the States for which one had to pay $25. I am so glad I am in Canada, doesn’t cost me a cent. Talking of medical services, I noticed one or two people I spoke to in NC this time had no idea that medical services were totally free in Canada. Yes, I know we pay for the services in our taxes, but nevertheless, Matt, for instance had had 2 hip replacements, a knee replacement and a spinal stenosis operation plus Health Care pricesseveral other minor treatments. I had one hip replacement. None of this cost us a penny. If we had been in the US we would have been in debt up the kazoo unless we had paid a whacking great premium every month to an insurance company, or been there long enough to have worked and got insurance that way. An acquaintance of hours had a major back operation and will be paying for it for the rest of his life. Personally I am at a total loss as to why so many Americans fought not to have government interference in their health care.

tsunami-debris-620In the news now, 18 million tonnes of tsunami debris is drifting to the British Columbia coast and is expected to arrive in 2014. By that I mean the tsunami which hit Japan early in the year. These pictures show comparatives of before and after off the coast of Japan. There is a huge field of debris drifting somewhere off the Midway area, however, at the moment they don’t think any of it is radioactive.

Every woman’s nightmare, a snake in the toilet. Apparently a one meter python was found curled up in the toilet bowl in a Toronto apartment. The cops who removed it had earlier found a 3 ft. corn snake in another apartment building which had come through the wall. That is going to make me real nervous going to the bathroom. They are not sure but assume these are escaped pets.

We had this dish for dinner last night. I haven’t  made it in years and I don’t think I have ever made it for Matt. I forgot to take a picture and I found one which looks more or less like the finished dish. It is actually a French recipe which my mother used to make and passed on to me. The name was my idea although its not the best French.

Poulet Sauce Maroc

8 Chicken breasts -- boned and skinnedMoroccan Chicken
4 Tbs flour
7.5 cups chicken bouillon
5 sweet oranges or
3 cups orange juice
6 Tbs olive oil
3 cloves garlic
2 chilies

Wash chicken, coat in seasoned flour. Fry lightly in oil with crushed garlic until chicken nicely coloured. Drain and set aside. Make roux with oil, blend in bouillon and cook over gentle heat adding orange juice and chilies. Put chicken in oven proof dish and pour on sauce. Cook at approx 350F in centre of oven for 1 1/2 hrs. Just before serving add cream and sprigs of parsley.

Servings: 8

Have a great day

Jo

No comments:

Post a Comment