Saturday, January 19, 2013

Lance, Medical, Jeopardy.

LanceSo he finally admitted it – I didn’t see the programme, but its all over the news. I don’t know what that will mean to his future, I have heard of civil action suits and he has already lost all his titles etc. I gather he claims everyone does it. I was never very interested in the Tour de France anyway, but I know he was a hero to many people especially with his cancer record and the Livestrong movement which has been damaged by all this, although I gather they are able to carry on. I know one friend of mine really thought he was great at the time, she must be very disappointed. Haven’t discussed it with her.

As you may recall, I have been treated for a urinary tract infection since August and have had 9 lots of antibiotics which caused me other glass of wineproblems too. Friday I went for a cystoscopy and a chat with a urologist. He said I shouldn’t have been given so many antibiotics without a culture being done. Upon examination he said there wasn’t any sign of infection in my bladder anyway. He defined it as an overactive bladder and gave me some pills to help. I think I am also going for an X-ray on my kidneys just in case. However, he gave me a short list of things I should avoid for the time being because they can aggravate the bladder. Smoking, caffeine, citrus, spicy foods and alcohol. I don’t smoke, I drink decaf, and don’t drink orange juice or anything, but alcohol, that’s a different kettle of fish. Means I shouldn’t drink my wine. We drink some wine on Saturday nights, looks like I will have to lay off it for a while. Mind you for this dinner we are going to on Sunday at the Legion, I cannot possibly lay off. I will be good afterwards.

Do you watch Jeopardy? We do religiously. Right now the 2 day champion is a young woman from Toronto and a local radio announcer, Randolph J. Johnson, said he was at school with her. He is the DJ to whom I talk when I give recipes out on the radio now and again. The first night the champion, don’t remember her name, won $40,000 odd and $16,000 odd the second night. I really thought she was going to be beaten, but in final Jeopardy she had the answer and her closest competitor didn’t.

This looks like a tasty snack.

Bread "Fries" with Marinara "Ketchup"Garlic

Contributed by Grace ParisiGarlic Bread Fries
SERVINGS:8 to 10

In this imaginative party snack, addictive garlicky bread sticks and marinara sauce resemble French fries and ketchup.
  1. 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
  2. 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
  3. 3 large garlic cloves, minced
  4. 1/2 cup finely chopped flat-leaf parsley
  5. 1 large baguette, split and halved
  6. 1/2 cup freshly grated Pecorino Romano cheese
  7. Marinara sauce, for serving
  1. Preheat the oven to 450°. In a medium skillet, melt the butter in the olive oil. Add the garlic and cook over moderate heat for 1 minute. Remove from the heat and add the parsley.
  2. Place the bread on a baking sheet, cut sides up, and spoon the garlic butter on top. Sprinkle with the cheese and bake in the middle of the oven for 10 minutes. Light the broiler and broil for 1 minute, just until golden. Cut the bread into 1/2-inch “fries” and serve in paper cones, with the marinara on the side.

Have a great weekend
Jo_thumb[2]

4 comments:

  1. Hi Jo .. good luck with sorting your UTI out - those infections drag you down to put it mildly .. how about cider instead of wine?

    Love the thought of the bread sticks .. I love garlic bread ... though I only really now make it when asked ... and I often leave the garlic out .. so the bread is herby ..

    Cheers and have a good dinner tonight .. Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right, this stuff does drag you down. I actually don't like cider, but its still alchohol.

      I thought the bread sticks look good. Will have to try them.

      Delete
  2. Well, at least no more antibiotics.
    I didn't watch the Armstrong confession but I find the whole thing really sad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, thank goodness.

      What I found extra sad, his kid was defending him in school and he had to tell the kid that he had taken drugs. He was actually upset when he told that one. What that child must have gone through!!

      Delete