Wednesday, February 27, 2013

A to Z Challenge, Information, Snow?

Yesterday I decided to check how many people had signed up for April’s A to Z Challenge, the numbers are well into the 800s and it doesn’t start for another month. This is becoming quite a mammoth undertaking. I also decided to visit some of my co-minions (Spunky’s Soldiers) to see who they are, I already read the blog of one of them, Sia McKye, but was unfamiliar with the rest. Laura Marcella, Sia McKye, Golden Eagle, Clarissa Draper, Tyrean Martinson, and Gwen Gardner, and me of course. It was an interesting journey. If you too are not familiar with these blogs, maybe you would like to go look as well.

A friend sent me this link to a BBC video which I found fascinating, BBCparticularly the information that we are exposed to as much information in one day as our 15th century ancestors were exposed to in a year. I think that is quite incredible. When you actually think about it, there is a stunning amount of information available out there particularly if you are on the net. Something my husband cannot conceive, I looked up drug info on line and he thought I should believe what it said on the prescribed pot before whatever I found on the internet. Many people just don’t understand what information is now available to us. Not only that, there is so much in the news about stealing information, hacking into major computers etc. that many people are afraid to use their computers to capacity. I know people who have computers but go to the utility companies to pay their bills. Nor do they bank on line of course.

Wednesday morning, early, I have two appointments for Matt and I at the local lab to get blood work done. Only trouble is, they are saying we are going to get a really heavy snowfall and will probably not be able to go anywhere which will be a bloody nuisance to say the least. Other areas have already had a visit from this storm and I guess we are due to get it overnight, I am writing this on Tuesday evening. Fingers crossed it won’t be as bad as they say.

I have always liked recipes from Mario Batali and this sounded like one I would enjoy apart from being very healthy. The recipe calls it pearled barley, I have always known it as pearl barley. It occurs to me this is very similar to a microwave recipe which I have posted before, and once used to cook a lot.

Mushroom Orzotto

Contributed by Mario Batali

SERVINGS:4

  1. 1 cup pearled barleyMushroom Orzotto
  2. 1 quart chicken stock or low-sodium broth
  3. 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
  4. 3/4 pound shiitake, stems discarded, caps sliced 1/4 inch thick
  5. 1 garlic clove, thinly sliced
  6. Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
  7. 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
  8. 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
  1. In a medium pot of salted boiling water, cook the barley for 15 minutes. Drain the barley and let it cool slightly. In a medium saucepan, bring the chicken stock to a boil; reduce the heat to low and keep warm.
  2. In a large saucepan, heat the olive oil. Add the mushrooms and garlic and season with salt and pepper. Cook over moderately high heat, stirring, until the mushrooms are softened and the garlic is fragrant, about 4 minutes. Add the barley and stir to coat. Add 1 cup of the warm stock and cook over moderately low heat, stirring constantly, until nearly absorbed. Continue adding the stock 1 cup at a time, stirring constantly between additions, until the barley is al dente and suspended in a creamy sauce, about 25 minutes. Stir in the butter and cheese. Season with salt and pepper and serve.

Have a great day

Jo_thumb[2]

2 comments:

  1. Not too sure about the recipe.
    You are in good standing with Diane's minions!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love barley and mushrooms, you should try it.

      I certainly like to think so. I guess I should get more blogs written so I have more time.

      Delete