Saturday, June 8, 2013

Pillow, Preventing Alzheimer’s.

001002
I know some people are particularly interested in this pillow and these are a couple of pix of mine. The top of the pillow is closest and I have shown both sides one of which is soft and fluffy the other has memory foam and is designed to deal with sweating. The top shows a chord which is for attaching the hose preventing it dragging. If you wish to see a video there is one on CPAPmax’s website. I finally located a source for the pillow case. I have also booked another sleep over at the clinic for next week when they will measure how I am doing and whether the pressure is right or needs adjusting. I take my own mask and hose but the machine is built into their computer systems. I can take my own pillow too, of course. I also have an appointment at the end of September to see the doctor, the one who is up for incompetence, I felt like saying “are you sure he will be working at that time?” but refrained.

Dr. Oz had another doctor on his show who was talking about preventing the development of Alzheimer’s disease. Basically it Dr. Neal Barnardappears he was touting a vegan diet. His premise being we are absorbing too many minerals from our diets. As he said, we need some minerals, but not as many as we are getting. To see the videos with Dr. Oz and Dr. Barnard click here. He appears to have a number of books out concerning Alzheimer’s, diabetes and other such serious illnesses. I am considering that Matt and I should change our diets a bit but definitely stop taking a Vitamin pill which includes minerals as Dr. Barnard reckons sufficient minerals can be obtained from eating the right foods. Also, Matt is taking an iron supplement which I think he should cut out, but he won’t do so without the Dr. telling him to.

Life has caught up with me a bit these last few days, so I have fallen behind in my blog reading. My apologies to everyone and I will try and catch up asap.

This is one of Dr. Barnard’s recipes


Stuffed Peppers with Squash, Black Beans, and Rice

These recipes are loaded with brain-protective foods to help protect mental clarity and reverse memory problems. Combine these brain-power foods with exercise, mental stimulation and at least 8 hours of sleep to begin Alzheimer’s prevention today!

IngredientsStuffed Peppers Barnard
Serves 2 as a main dish or 4 as a side
1/2 cup cooked brown rice
1 cup cooked black beans
2 Mexican gray squash or zucchini, diced
6 green onions, sliced
2 tsp pepitas (green pumpkin seeds)
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tbsp chopped fresh oregano
2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
Juice of 1 lime
1/4 tsp sea salt
1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
2 red bell peppers, cut in half, cored and seeded
Prepared salsa (optional)

Directions
Combine the rice, beans, squash, green onions, pepitas, garlic, oregano, vinegar, lime, salt and pepper in a large bowl. Fill the pepper halves with the squash, rice and bean mixture. Top with salsa, if using, and serve.
Per serving: 187 calories, 16 g protein, 54 g carbohydrate, 13 g sugar, 3 g total fat, 14% calories from fat, 16 g fiber, 317 mg sodium

Have a great weekend
Jo_thumb[2]

4 comments:

  1. I have a special pillow, too. It's memory foam, and has a cooling gel in it because I'm always too hot. Add the hot flashes of perimenopause and I'm in trouble... I'm really worried about how I'll sleep when I get my CPAP machine...being attached and hooked up and all that. I see the sleep people on June 18th.
    That recipe looks delicious, and fits my new diet perfectly! Thanks!
    Tina @ Life is Good

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you end up with a mask Tina, you really need a pillow like this which is specially designed for CPAP mask users. I didn't have trouble sleeping with the mask right from the get go but some people seem to - I am not sure if its because they think they will have trouble or not.

      Delete
  2. Glad you finally found a reasonable pillowcase.
    A more vegetarian diet? I buy that. Not just because of mineral but because of all the additives in animals and processed foods.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too Alex.

      Re the minerals, went to our doc today because I was concerned, he tells me the mineral argument has been going on for many years. I do see what you mean about additives in animals although we basically don't eat processed anything. He is sending hubby on to a gerontologist. Think that's how its spelled.

      Delete