Saturday, October 26, 2013

Kennedy, Hepburn Movie, Medical.

Colin McLarenHere’s an interesting take on the Kennedy assassination. An Australian, who is quite familiar with accidental gun deaths, according to the article, set out to investigate independents as he figure he had no axe to grind. McLaren figures that the whole thing was actually an accidental shooting. I wonder. It was certainly a shot heard round the world.

Friday I watched a movie on TV I had never seen before, Wait Until Dark Audrey Hepburnwith Audrey Hepburn playing a blind housewife. It’s an old film and I am not sure how come I had never seen it before. A pretty good story and I enjoyed every minute of it. I have always liked Audrey Hepburn, she was so lovely to look at. She was wearing fairly tight sweaters which emphasised just how slim she was, I should ever be that thin. If I tried for that these days, I would look like an old hag. LOL. I’m still losing by the way, albeit not very fast and it doesn’t show on the scales too much.

I got a call from the doctor’s office today. Having had my ultrasound last week they are now sending me for an upper GI exam. I guess that is the ‘oscopy’ the doc mentioned, but I still am not sure which ‘oscopy’ it is. I don’t yet know when either. Funnily enough, I have been feeling quite a bit better lately, so maybe I don’t really need this test.

Busy day today as we have 6 of us for dinner tonight. Will tell you what I cooked on Monday.

I came across this recipe in the LCBO’s Food and Drink and loved the sound of it. Not that Truffle Oil is something I keep handy although my mother used to. I have posted an asparagus risotto before but this has extra flavour with the pancetta in particular. I could never taste truffles myself I’m afraid, I am sure I was missing out on something but…



Asparagus Risotto with Pancetta and Truffle Oil 

Early Summer 2008
By: Lucy Waverman

A beautiful risotto studded with green asparagus and flecked with Asparagus Risotto with Pancetta and Truffle Oilpancetta. This tastes even better with the truffle oil giving it that final flourish.


1 lb (500 g) thin asparagus stalks, woody ends removed
2 tbsp (25 mL) olive oil
4 slices pancetta, diced
1 cup (250 mL) chopped onion
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1½ cups (375 mL) arborio rice
5½ cups (1.375 L) hot chicken stock
2 tbsp (25 mL) butter
½ cup (125 mL) Parmesan cheese
1 tsp (5 mL) truffle oil
Salt and freshly ground pepper

1. Dice asparagus stalks into 2-inch (5-cm) lengths, reserving tips.
2. Heat olive oil in a pot over medium heat. Add pancetta and fry for 2 minutes or until fat has rendered. Add onion, garlic and asparagus stalks and sauté for 3 minutes or until onion is softened. Stir in rice and cook until rice is coated with onion and oil, about 1 minute.
3. Pour in about 2 cups (500 mL) stock and cook, stirring frequently until most of the liquid is absorbed. Add another 2 cups (500 mL) stock and stir again and cook until liquid is absorbed. Add last cup (250 mL) of stock and asparagus tips. Cook until stock is absorbed. The rice should be al dente. If not, add up to ½ cup (125 mL) more stock. This whole process should take between 20 and 25 minutes.
4. Beat in butter, Parmesan and truffle oil and season with salt and pepper.

Serves 4

Have a great weekend.
Jo_thumb[2]

6 comments:

  1. Interesting theory. Our book club is reading "Killing Kennedy" and I will bring up this idea. Either way, both shots would have been fatal, I think. Audrey H. was a classy lady all her life. Some of the current "stars" could learn from her example. Thanks, Jo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought it was pretty interesting.

      Wasn't she great.

      Delete
  2. That was a accurate shot for an accidental one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jo .. I've seen one or two things about the Kennedys recently ... but an interesting wonder ...

    I agree Audrey Hepburn is/was gorgeous - let's not talk about slipping bits!

    I really need to catch up on some films .. thanks for popping over - we've seen various pictures of the three Queens too ... it was a good Christening ..

    Cheers and I love risotto ... especially asparagus with parmesan and some fresh peas .. not so sure about the Truffle oil .. Enjoy dinner - well last night's!! Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess there will always be speculation about Kennedy same as with Princess Diana.

      It certainly looked a good christening, nice that young George was so well behaved.

      I love risotto too although took me a while before I had the courage to make it myself.

      Delete