Friday, October 25, 2013

Snow, Bowling, Decent Gesture.

I didn’t see it, but I am reliably informed by several people, that we had snow last night. One friend actually saw it falling Wednesday Snowingevening, and several people saw snow on the ground this morning. Guess I didn’t look out of the window, nor did Matt. It’s way too early for snow; when we first came to Canada we were assured that snow didn’t fall til November 15, that’s some way off yet. I don’t know if it portends a bad winter or what. Only one problem as far as we are concerned, next week is our Travel League and it is out of town; snow would put the kibosh on that, at least as far as we are concerned. It’s not that we are worried about driving in snow ourselves but we are concerned about the idiots on the road, some of whom don’t seem to remember how to drive in snow from one year to another.

Of the four of us bowling yesterday, only one got any really good scores and even she didn’t reach 200. Of course our little Thursday get togethers are for fun as much as anything and it doesn’t really matter what we score, but it is nice if you score well.

Today I have to start cooking and also do some housework between the pair of us. Hope I can cope. I don’t think our cleaning lady will be back any time soon. She emailed me and said apart from anything else, she feels dizzy. Not good to drive if you feel like that. Problem is, when you work for yourself, you don’t get financial support when you are unable to do so. Reminds me, read a great story on Facebook about a female cop who arrested a woman for stealing a load of food to feed her hungry children, the cop made a decision and bought the woman $100 worth of food on the condition when she got back on her feet, she would pay it forward. The story hit the news so another $700 worth of food was donated and someone offered the woman a job. Heartwarming. All because a cop made a humane decision.

I confess I am not big on apple desserts, but this one doesn’t sound too bad. Similar to a recipe Matt has made in the past which I didn’t dislike.

Apple Tart Tatin

Source: Cooking.com

10 servings
Rec Image
INGREDIENTS
1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter
2/3 cup sugar
10 medium-firm red delicious apples (about 6 ounces each), peeled, cored, quartered
1 sheet purchased frozen puff pastry (thawed) or home made

DIRECTIONS
Melt butter in tart tatin pan over medium heat. Add sugar and cook, stirring occasionally until sugar melts and turns deep amber coloured, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat. Arrange a little less than half of the apples in bottom of pan, cut side facing up, spacing apples as close together as possible, forming one layer (bottom will be top of tart).

Arrange remaining apples, round sides up, over apples in pan, filling pan evenly. Cover with lid and cook slowly over medium-low heat until apples become juicy and tender at edges, about 25 minutes. Uncover and continue to simmer slowly (do not burn caramel on bottom of pan) until apples are very tender and the juices in the bottom of pan are reduced to a thick caramel (about 1/4 to 1/2-inch deep in pan), about 35 minutes.
Meanwhile, preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Roll out puff pasty sheet to thickness of 1/4 inch. Cut circle of dough to fit over apples, about 9 1/2-inches in diameter. Tuck edges down covering apples completely. Bake until crust has puffed, is a very dark golden brown, about 35 minutes. Cool tart in pan 5 minutes. Invert serving plate atop tart. Using hot pads, grasp plate and pan handles together firmly. Turn pan with tart and plate over. Remove pan. Serve warm or at room temperature.

Have a great day
Jo_thumb[2]

10 comments:

  1. No snow yet, but the heat was turned on the first time today! Winter is here!

    Hope you cleaning lady is well soon, for her sake and yours. That cop was awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sure is Yolanda.

      Me too. Yes, she was fab.

      Delete
  2. Bit your tongue on snow, Jo. It's a bad four-letter word in my vocabulary. Snow is a ways off but it's been very cold the past few nights and tonight it's supposed to get down to the upper 20's. *Shivers*

    That would be a dessert my guys would like. I'd probably use Fuji apples--firmer and yummy. I'll have to try it. Made a Dutch crumble apple pie last week. Love warm apple desserts, but this one was great warm or cold.

    Sia McKye Over Coffee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oz friend of mine always writes s**ow or something. Actually the forecast said it was snowy here this morning, looking out of the window, no sign of it. It's 1°C though, so pretty chilly out there.

      As I said, I am not an apple person. Never really enjoyed cooked apples except possibly baked apples. Haven't had one of those in years.

      Delete
  3. That's a great story about the woman in need.
    I'd gladly take snow, although at least we are really cold right now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you remember the winter, around '88 or '89 when we got 18 inches of snow? We were living in Bogue (between Morehead City and Swansboro) at the time and had no snow gear or shovels. Didn't get mail for a week.Just spoke to friends in the same area and they said it's 40°F at the moment.

      Delete
  4. Comment eaten. No surprise. Here it goes again. Thanks for the recipe, I dig all apple desserts. It's my lucky day you have one waiting for me when I come.
    The lady cop story is a touching one. Good for her who had the heart to help.
    And dear Jo, please drop by the cave sometime in the weekend. I have an invitation waiting for you. Mark the day in your calendar. It wouldn't be a party without you in it. Dragon Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you like apple desserts.

      Will definitely drop by the dragon cave. I wouldn't miss a party hosted by Father Dragon.

      Delete
  5. I heard on the radio this morning that snow is forecast for New England so snow up your way would be no surprise to me. I haven't been bowling in many years. I took bowling as a Phys Ed class in college. I thought it was kind of funny, but suited me well.

    Lee
    Check out my interview with viral blogger Liza Long
    Tossing It Out

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm told it snowed on one side of town this morning, just not our side.

      It is an odd thing to have as phys ed. Of course 10 pin is very different from 5 pin. We use three balls for a start and don't have to stop and wait for a ball to return.

      Delete