Monday, December 9, 2013

Cheers Fest, Madiba, Dinner, Pearl Onions.

Today people are going to roast Lee or Arlee Bird. Several people suggested I join in, but I don’t know Lee that well and I wouldn’t have a clue what to roast him about.  Sorry folks. Actually I am not sure I would know what to say to anyone at a roast, even if I knew them well.

The world has certainly be pouring out its love and affection for Nelson Mandela. An incredible man. He certainly lived to a ripe old age and will be much missed.

Today, of course, is bowling again, the league this time. I hope I continue to bowl well although I don’t seem to do so on Thursdays. We are somewhat disappointed that we won’t be bowling at all Christmas Week, but the festivities coming right in the middle of the week put the kibosh on that.

I have to report that the Slow Cooker Beef Bourguignon which I made on Saturday was delicious. I only used 2 lbs of beef and there is plenty for the two of us for 3 meals. I prepped a few things on Friday night and wished I had done more as with my back, I wPearl Onionsas dying by the time I had everything in the slow cooker. I did the pearl onions on Friday and the recommended way of peeling them worked beautifully. I now have to find another recipe for them as I have 10 oz. over. When I lived in England, we could buy pearl onions frozen in a cream sauce which were wonderful for leftover turkey. You mixed in cheese and sherry with the turkey and onions. I might see if I can find a suitable recipe which I can use later on. Well that wasn’t difficult I found one straight away. I will share it later on.

I have a great spinach and artichoke dip recipe, but I thought this one from Kraft Foods was even better.

Warm Spinach and Artichoke Cups


Warm Spinach & Artichoke Cups recipe
Kraft
How can you improve on the classic spinach and artichoke dip? Oh, just by serving each better-for-you bite in its own savoury, delicate wrapper.

24 servings

What You Need

24 won ton wrappers
1 can  (14 oz.) artichoke hearts, drained, finely chopped
1 up  KRAFT Shredded Mozzarella Cheese
1 pkg.  (10 oz.) frozen chopped spinach, thawed, squeezed dry
1/3 cup  KRAFT Mayo with Olive Oil Reduced Fat Mayonnaise
1/3 cup  KRAFT Grated Parmesan Cheese
1/4 cup  finely chopped red peppers
2 cloves  garlic, minced

Make It

HEAT oven to 350°F.
PLACE 1 won ton wrapper in each of 24 mini muffin cups sprayed with cooking spray, with edges of wrapper extending over top of cup. Bake 5 min. Meanwhile, combine remaining ingredients.
SPOON artichoke mixture into won ton cups.
BAKE 12 to 14 min. or until filling is heated through and edges of cups are golden brown.

Kraft Kitchens Tips

Where to Find Won Ton Wrappers
Look for won ton wrappers in the produce section of the supermarket.


Have a great day
Jo

10 comments:

  1. Here is a link to the onions I made for Thanksgiving. They were delicious and I am sure you could substitute the pearl onions. http://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/balsamic-braised-cipolline-onions-with-pomegranate

    ReplyDelete
  2. You could've joined the roasting! So far the entries have been really funny.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Only read Stephen's as yet. I really wouldn't know what to say.

      Delete
  3. Placing them in wonton wrappers - what a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought so too. I have got to try it soon.

      Delete
  4. You made me laugh, Jo. If you need lessons on roasting people, you need to go to a fire dragon for advice! How come you didn't think on that? :)
    Talking about roasting, those pearl onions are my favorite when roasted, then you let them marinate for a day in Soy Sauce, lemon and salt. Perfect to go with beef.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Not quite the roasting I had in mind Al.

    That way of cooking pearl onions sounds good. Will have to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Replies
    1. They are pretty tasty too Sarah, but a pain in the rear end to peel unless you follow the above.

      Delete