Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Dieting Rant, Gary and Penny

As long as I can remember, and I assure you that’s a pretty long time, people have been talking a load of guff about dieting; what food is good for you, cut out fat dieting cartoon2because it’s bad for the heart and so on and so on. I see they are now beginning to say that some of these low fat products are actually making people feel hungrier so they eat more and put on weight. They are also now saying eating 2 meals a day is good for diabetics and dieters. Personally, I believe in eating sensibly, NOT using synthetic or low fat anything, and moderating what you do eat. Most of these low fat foods taste disgusting anyway. If ever I needed proof, for the last 17 months I have been eating more or less what I want of sensible, properly prepared foods. I dieting cartoonhave restricted myself to 1200 calories a day as a general rule, but if I wanted to go to a Chinese restaurant I did so and didn’t count the calories, (not sure how you would at a Chinese buffet).. The same with dinner parties. The upshot of this is that I have lost 38 lbs with very little effort on my part. I am still sticking to the 1200 calories although I seem to have reached a plateau but that’s OK, my diabetes sugar readings are constantly where they should be and clothes I used to wear I can wear once more. I have friends who have had medical interventions in order to lose weight some of which cost a fair amount of money. They lost weight admittedly, but I am not sure how much of it has stayed off. a friend in the States had it done twice and the second time she nearly died. She is still overweight. Another friend had liposuction, she had to lie in bed for ever to get over it. Very dangerous if you gain the weight back. I think she is doing pretty well. I should also mention that, as most of you know, I bowl twice a week which is fairly good exercise. I also used FitDay.com to record everything I put in my mouth which I think is an excellent tool – no, I never tried to deceive myself.

OK, I lied. I realised later that I do use Butter Buds and sweetener now and again.

For those of you Comicwho know Gary Pennick and Penny, I sent him this cartoon today. They both liked it although apparently Penny says she is Gary’s owner.

I have been making this recipe for years now, we love it . It keeps forever and is so easy to make, especially if you happen to have Parmesan cheese, which I didn’t. I was totally teed off with myself; I was all set to make this pesto on Monday morning. It makes a fabulous snack or a great hors d’oeuvres. I ended up making another batch of Asparagus soup. Should just about have enough for the winter now.

Asparagus Pesto Toasts

Asparagus Pesto
1 lb trimmed green asparagus
1 cup toasted walnut halves (I used pecans)
4 cloves garlic, peeled
2 1/2 tsp salt
3/4 cup olive oil
2/3 cup freshly grated Parmesan
Freshly ground pepper

1. Cook asparagus until just tender. Refresh in cold water, then drain and dry well. Place asparagus, walnuts, garlic and salt in food  processor. Process until blended.
2. With motor running, gradually add olive oil, then add cheese and pepper. Blend together and check seasoning. Place in covered bowl.
3. It shows the recipe served on crunchy toasted French or Italian bread with a curl or two of parmesan on top and some asparagus at the side.
4. We freeze this in ice cube trays, then wrap the cubes in pairs (separated by Saran, and put in a bag in the freezer until we need them.

Source: Food and Drink

Have a great day
Jo (2)

16 comments:

  1. Penny definitely owns Gary.
    We eat a few low fat items, but not fat free, because those are disgusting and have no taste. But there is no secret diet or diet food - watch what you eat and exercise. It's as simple as that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I 100% agree, fat free is disgusting. I just get fed up with everything the "experts" say and then a year or two later change their minds.

      Delete
  2. I've struggled with weight my whole life. I look back at pics of me as a kid and I wasn't fat but my mom insisted I needed to lose weight and had me on 1200 calorie a day diets when I was in elementary school. As a result, my metabolism was damaged and my body thinks I'm in starvation mode all the time. Over the years I've dieted, worked out regularly and saw no difference....except for actually going up 2 pants sizes. Since we decided to get married this summer, I'm now attempting to eat 5 small meals a day. I've cut way back on sugar. I've always been a fruit and veggie person so I'm loading up with those. I'm trying to keep my guy healthy too but his problem is portion control. His stomach is a bottomless pit. And now that it's spring I'm getting out and walking. We'll see if I actually lose any weight. And just to be on the safe side, I'm gonna have to get some Spanx to wear under my wedding clothes so I don't look like a cow in pictures. I refuse to allow anyone to take pictures of me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear you JoJo, I was on a diet when I was 11. You say you have cut back on sugar, that's a good thing but don't forget fruits are loaded with sugar so don't eat too many. That's one reason I use FitDay so I can keep a check on my intake. You really have to be honest using that programme.

      Delete
  3. Awesome storage idea for what looks to be another delicious recipe!
    Tina @ Life is Good
    On the Open Road! @ Join us for the 4th Annual Post-Challenge Road Trip!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is Tina. All you need is parmesan. Not only that, was going to make some more leek and potato soup, all I need is cream. Not my day. Matt gone out for me.

      Delete
  4. Sensible way to eat, Jo. Although being vegetarian, I've heard we should eat 5-6 small meals a day instead. Basically graze like herbivoirs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As I said, I have been hearing recently that it is better to eat twice a day. A complete change in outlook. Not sure they made any difference between vegetarians or non. I will be sticking to my current regime however.

      Delete
  5. That cartoon for Penny and Gary made me laugh. Good one.

    One of my gripes about dieting fads is that many products now advertised as "low fat" were always low fat! It's just that they were and are always packed with sugar and other stuff that destroys your body. Sugar makes you hungry for more, so it's true that "low fat" foods do the same. Oy, I could go on. But I'll stop.

    Mmm, you can't go wrong with pesto. Thanks for another yummy recipe, Jo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too Robyn. You are so right, the sugar is a lot of the problem. Rant away, I agree with you.

      The pesto is really good.

      Delete
  6. I've been struggling with weight for the longest time. I'm trying to eat healthier now.

    www.modernworld4.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I highly recommend using a programme like FitDay to record everything you eat. It really does help to keep you on track.

      Delete
  7. I was waitng for this recipe. Going to make some on our Memorial Day. And yes, eating sensibly is good for the body. I eat Clean and sort of Paleo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I made some on Monday. It's good as usual.

      What's Paleo?

      Delete
  8. Hi Jo - gosh that cartoon is so perfect for Penny and Gary - and I'm certain Penny does own Gary!!! Asparagus pesto .. sounds very good and deliciously easy to make ..

    Great news about your ability to keep the weight off and I agree .. eating fresh and healthily .. I need to lose a few pounds this summer and do some more exercise ... but do eat fresh veg, salads and fruits - and must try and cut back a little ..

    Good recipe ... cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it?

      The pesto is easy and it keeps forever in the freezer.

      I have found it pretty easy in the last months to lose and maintain my weight loss. Using FitDay has helped.

      Delete