Then there is blogging. Once again, I feel very close to a number of blogging friends from all over the world. I have managed to meet a couple from North Carolina, and once again, it was like being with long term friends. Some bloggers are closer than others of course and we have email connections as well as blogging ones. Tina Downey was one of these and she and I became very good friends. I will be among the many who miss her very much. I wish I could meet many more of my blogging friends, it would be so much fun.
This recipe from Food and Wine landed in my inbox on Monday. To me it’s a big pity that I didn’t get it during asparagus season. Asparagus is still available of course, but it just isn’t as good or as flavourful. However, I thought it sounded good, not sure if I will try it now or wait til next season.
Raw Asparagus Salad with Tomatoes and Hard-Boiled EggsContributed by Molly Chester
- SERVINGS: 4
- 1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1/3 cup chopped scallions
- One 2-ounce can anchovy fillets, drained
- 2 small garlic cloves
- 3/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt
- 1 pound asparagus, woody ends discarded and stalks thinly sliced diagonally
- 4 large eggs
- 2 cups mixed cherry tomatoes, halved
- In a blender, combine the lemon juice with the scallions, anchovies and garlic and puree until nearly smooth. With the machine on, gradually add the olive oil until emulsified. Season the dressing with salt and pepper. Transfer one third of the dressing to a serving bowl and toss with the asparagus. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan, cover the eggs with water and bring to a boil. Remove from the heat, cover and let stand for 10 minutes. Drain and cool the eggs under cold running water. Peel the eggs and pat dry, then quarter lengthwise and season with salt and pepper.
- Fold the tomatoes into the asparagus; season with salt and pepper. Arrange the eggs on top and serve, passing the remaining dressing at the table.
Have a great day