Friday, September 26, 2014

Saturday Recipe

It's amazing how many comments I got yesterday from not really posting a blog.

This is an interesting and different recipe. It came to me through Pinterest so I followed it to its origins. I ended up at the Healthy Foodie. Balsamic Pearls is an expensive item which can be obtained from Amazon, but a balsamic reduction would be a less expensive way to go. I have just done some googling and also found a recipe for making them at home. Not something I had ever heard of before.


Eggs in Avocado Boat

Yields 2 boats

Eggs in Avocado Boat
INGREDIENTS
  • 1 teaspoon coconut oil
  • 1 large ripe avocado
  • 2 organic, free-range eggs
  • Sprinkle salt and pepper Garnish
  • Few pieces of walnuts, chopped
  • Fresh thyme
  • Balsamic Pearls (or balsamic reduction)
INSTRUCTIONS
  1. Cut the avocado in half, remove the pit and scoop out enough of the flesh to accomodate an entire egg.
  2. Remove a small portion of the skin on the back so the avocado sits straight when you set it on the cutting board.
  3. Crack the eggs and divide them between 3 containers. Place the yolks in individual shot glasses or small tea cups and place both whites together in a common small mixing bowl. Add salt and pepper to taste to the whites and mix well.
  4. Heat coconut oil in a skillet with fitting lid set over medium high heat. Add the avocado halves, flesh side down, and sear them for about 30 seconds, or until slightly golden.
  5. Flip the avocados around and fill the cavities almost to the top with the egg whites. Turn the heat down, put the lid on and cook for about 15-20 minutes or until the egg whites are almost set.
  6. Carefully slide the yolks over the whites and continue cooking for 3-5 minutes or until yolks have reached the desired level of doneness.
  7. Transfer to a serving plate and garnish with walnuts, thyme and balsamic pearls.
Have a great weekend
Jo_thumb[2]

6 comments:

  1. I've done eggs in avocado baked in the oven before which are really good but boy does it take a long time to get them as done as I like them (not a fan of runny yolks).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Must say I had never thought of it. I like my yolks runny though. Nothing better than a soft boiled egg with toast "soldiers" to dip into it.

      Delete
  2. Interesting dish Jo but we're trying to lose weight so avocados aren't allowed. We've just discovered UHT egg whites in cartons and are making omelettes with this - so low in fat and cholesterol :-)
    When you get a mo, could you email me a link to your liver recipe. I tried searching your Blog but ended up with the wrong L (your Lipizaner post). Cheers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The last time I posted the liver dish, called Iscas, so L wouldn't find it, was in April. However, I will send you the recipe. I have been dieting too for 2 years now and allow myself avocados now and again.

      Delete
  3. That's an unusual combination. I sometimes think when I'm eating them that avocado tastes a bit eggy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Never thought that Pinky. But yes, it is an unusual combination. Probably won't try it myself as hubby doesn't think a hell of a lot of avocados, sadly.

      Delete