Friday, August 21, 2015

Polar Bears, Blog Links



Had to show these pictures of polar bears romping in Fireweed. They look so cuddly don't they? Not that I recommend it you understand. These were captured by a Canadian photographer, Dennis Fast, and taken in Churchill, Manitoba.



I've been thinking recently about links in blogging. I often use them when I am referring to an article or something and I know many other do so. However, most often, I haven't time to follow them which made me wonder, how many of you do actually click on links in a blog? Sometimes I really want to follow them because it's something of particular interest, then I tend to forget to go back. Is that just me or do others find the same thing when they are reading blogs?

Despite having lived in North America for the last 40 years, I have never had a grilled cheese sandwich which I would consider a North American staple. Here is a recipe I came across today which I thought sounded delicious. Maybe I will make it in the near future.

Tomato, Prosciutto and Gruyère Sandwiches

Daniel Humm's broiled open-face cheese sandwiches make a terrific snack or a decadent lunch. They
evoke classic Swiss fondue because they combine bubbling hot Gruyère with white wine and kirsch, a cherry-flavored spirit.


Ingredients

  1. Four 1-inch-thick slices of white bread
  2. 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
  3. 1 garlic clove
  4. 1 teaspoon dry white wine
  5. 1/2 teaspoon kirsch (optional)
  6. 2 ounces thinly sliced prosciutto
  7. 1 beefsteak tomato, peeled and thinly sliced
  8. Salt
  9. 1/2 pound Gruyère cheese, thinly sliced
  10. Freshly ground pepper
  11. Sweet paprika
  1. Preheat the oven to 400°. Brush the bread slices on both sides with the olive oil and transfer to a baking sheet. Toast for 10 to 15 minutes, turning once, until golden and crisp but still soft inside. Rub the toast on one side with the garlic. In a small bowl, combine the white wine and kirsch and sprinkle lightly over the garlic-rubbed sides of the toast. Top with the prosciutto and tomato and season lightly with salt. Top with the cheese.
  2. Preheat the broiler. Broil the sandwiches as close to the heat as possible for about 3 minutes, shifting the pan occasionally, until the cheese is bubbling. Sprinkle with pepper and paprika and serve hot.

Have a great day
 

24 comments:

  1. Hi Jo. I click on links if they sound interesting. I think they are pretty popular. Certain links give you a higher rating on google too if you care about that. Adorable pics of the polar bears. They look stunning against the bright background. And I like the French croque monsieur which is their version of the grilled cheese sandwich. We call it a toastie in Oz. Good quick snack/meal. I like it made with brioche bread. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's good to know people do click on them Denise, I often wonder when I put links in my blog. I thought the bears really looked great amongst the fireweed. Don't normally think of polar bears without ice and snow. Never had a croquet monsieur either. I wonder why.

      Delete
  2. Hi Jo, I usually click on links if the blog article sounds interesting.
    The polar bears look so cute don't they :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice to hear Fil. I will continue to include them.

      The look amazing against the pinky/purple background

      Delete
  3. I'm another one who clicks on links if they sound interesting - and that generally applies to any blog I'm really reading. I tend to assume that the writer has put them in for a good reason so it seems sensible to at least check them out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good Helen, I often wondered about it. I will continue to include them.

      Delete
  4. I usually click on links and I often include them in my posts. I love grilled cheese and so does my baby grandson. Of course, I rarely eat them because there is nothing low cal about a good grilled cheese, (saying the woman who made a pie consisting of heavy cream and chocolate for dessert last night, lol.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to know Denise. As I said, never had a grilled cheese. That dessert sounds fantastic. Making a strawberry dessert today for lunch tomorrow.

      Delete
  5. Sometimes I click on links, but I usually embed them in case someone out there is looking up the place I visited, etc. and then my blog will come up. I do it to increase traffic, and also as a courtesy to the place or blog or website I went to myself.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those polar bears are cute! Rarely do I click on a link in a blog post. I include them in mine mainly to give credit to whatever I'm writing about. That sandwich looks delicious!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I put links in Bettyn because I don't tell a story completely and people may want to see the original article.

      It does look good.

      Delete
  7. The Polar bears are gorgeous. I just saw a video on the telly where a mother black bear and all her cubs were filmed playing in someone's backyard pool. Bears are so appealing. I click on links if it's something interesting. I put them on my posts to credit things or to further explain the topic I'm writing about.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How funny Pinky, we saw the same video on TV today. The little girl upset 'cos they were using her toy or something. I love bears - from a distance of course.

      Well I do the same with links, but wondered if people bother.

      Delete
  8. Love those pictures, priceless!
    And that grilled cheese, wow, that some sandwich!
    I put links in too, would be nice to know if folks use them. Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are good pix aren't they Yolanda? Don't often see polar bears like that.

      Well lots of people are saying they do follow links.

      Delete
  9. Hi, Jo...

    LOVE the pics! Polar Bears are one of my FAVORITE animals. They do look so cuddly!

    Now that grilled cheese combinations sounds delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was the coincidence of you do pink and white and me doing white and pink which struck me Michael. They do look cuddly, wish they were.

      Yup, think I'll have to try it.

      Delete
  10. Hi human, Jo,

    Very cute photos of the polar bears. And nope, I wont be cuddling a polar bear any time soon.

    I click on the occasional link on a blog. With so much happening and taking several hours to comment on so many blogs, time is precious commodity.

    I love cheese, even grilled cheese.

    Pawsitive wishes and doggy kisses,

    Penny xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Penny, you're a bit small for playing with polar bears. Very true, you do get a lot of comments on your blog.

      My last dog was an absolute sucker for cheese. Pawsitive wishes to you too Penny.

      Delete
  11. Hi Jo - I've seen your name around the blogs I visit so thought I'd hop over from Ivy's to read your posts. Love the polar bear pictures ... and I am one that looks at links on blog posts, perhaps not everyone ... just as time permits.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice to see you Jan, thanks for popping in. I too have seen your name around.

      They are fun pix aren't they? Most people seem to agree they do look at links.

      Delete
  12. Rarely will I click on links. Unless I know that link goes to another blogger that I know or am curious to read about. But basic links on news stories, I don't bother with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting, I thought more people would be like you there Ivy.

      Delete