Thursday, November 12, 2015

Road Works, Rapid Transit System, Christmas Food,

Talking about the roadworks around town yesterday, I thought I would take some pics of how bad it is just getting somewhere on King St.





That's just one spot on King St. But the whole street is like that. Luckily we wanted to go to places on both sides of the road opposite one another. We then had to drive a distance on a dirt road to get to a turning which would lead us back to civilisation. As you can see from the first picture, they have started paving spots of the road so, the end is nigh! Except that winter is coming on and not much can be done in the snow. Everywhere you go in the town there are major roadworks, some have now been completed after several years of work, others have just been started. All to do with a rapid transport system which I really don't know much about, but which I gather most people think is a waste of time. I have just been reading the page I have linked to and in my opinion it is a load of utter nonsense. I think they are wasting millions of dollars on something which will not get used very much.

Matt got the all clear from his doc once again. We then went into the store and I got my ground veal
and found some nice looking lamb chops too. I talked to them about getting a small piece of pork leg for Christmas. I obviously don't want a whole leg, they are rather large. He assured me they carried what I want all the time. Checked out the shelves and yes, they had some suitable pieces. Thought about buying one but decided against it. They were not that expensive either I was pleased to see. In passing I looked at the frozen geese, $67 or so. Maybe I should send Matt out with a gun. I do so love geese and ducks but just cannot afford them at that price. For my English readers, would you comment on the price of geese and ducks for me to compare. I used to buy them but I am talking 40 years ago now. We have been in Canada that long. The only time I had goose here was with a friend who had a license to shoot Canada Geese once a year or something like that. Good, but I am spoilt because I have always eaten geese bred for the table. Maybe I should buy one as a Christmas present to the pair of us. But considering how long it is since I last cooked one, I would be almost scared  to try. I could always try raising money on GoFundMe!!!!

This is a recipe from NY Times based on a very old recipe. But I want goose......... Sigh.



Chicken Fricassee With Vermouth

  • Yield 4 to 6 servings


 





Ingredients

  • 1 three-and-one-half-pound, ready-to-cook chicken, cut into serving pieces
  • Salt, if desired
  • Freshly ground pepper
  • 2 tablespoons butter
  • ½ cup coarsely chopped onion
  • 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
  • 2 tablespoons flour
  • ¾ cup dry white vermouth
  • ¼ cups chicken broth
  • 1 bay leaf
  • 2 sprigs fresh thyme or 1/2 teaspoon dried
  • 1 cup carrots cut into fine, julienne strips, about two inches long
  • 1 ½ cups loosely packed leeks cut into fine, julienne strips, about three inches long
  • ½ cup heavy cream

Preparation

  1. Sprinkle the chicken with salt and pepper to taste.
  2. Heat the butter in a skillet and add the chicken pieces skin side down. Cook over moderate heat about one minute without browning.
  3. Scatter the onion over all and cook 30 seconds. Add the garlic and stir it around. Cook the chicken about four minutes, turning the pieces often in the butter.
  4. Sprinkle the flour over all, turning the pieces so that they are evenly coated. Add the vermouth, chicken broth, bay leaf and thyme. Cover and cook over moderate heat about 20 minutes.
  5. Meanwhile, bring two batches of water to the boil for the carrots and leeks. Drop the carrots into one batch, the leeks in the other. Let the carrots simmer about one minute and drain. Let the leeks simmer about four minutes.
  6. When the chicken has cooked for a total of 30 minutes (start to finish), add the carrots, leeks and cream. Let simmer about two minutes. Serve with rice.


Have a great day
 

30 comments:

  1. Right now, downtown Willmington looks like King Street. It's a mess.

    i don't believe I've ever eaten goose. I wouldn't spend $67 for one, that's for sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haven't been there for a few years. Used to love their azalea festival. Wouldn't go unless I had to now though.

      Well you wouldn't eat goose anyway Diane. I don't suppose I will spend the money either. I can't help dreaming.

      Delete
  2. I thought you guys were going to a restaurant for Christmas dinner? I've never had goose or duck either. One year my ex-h wanted to try a TurDuckHen and they had them at Fred Meyer in the grocery dept. It was $50 and came in a big box and weighed a lot. But you could only eat just so much. I picked at the turkey part but most of it went in the trash b/c it was too rich.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are JoJo. But I could always cook it for Christmas Eve. Never tried a turducken but for two of us, a bit pointless I guess. Sounds as though yours was a waste anyway. Too rich? you surprise me.

      Delete
  3. I've seen GoFundMe used for everything else, so why not? Think we'll just stick with a turkey for the holidays.
    John Madden's TurDuckHen. I miss seeing those during the Thanksgiving football games.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL. Alex, but I do love goose.

      Never even seen a turducken for sale.

      Delete
  4. For Thanksgiving we have roast chicken, and ham for Christmas. I'm allergic to turkey, and the boys don't seem to mind either way.
    What a mess for sure on the highway, would not want to try and traverse that puzzle!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How odd to be allergic to turkey. But if your family don't mind that's good. That's the trouble Yolanda, people don't want to and stores are suffering badly.

      Delete
  5. That looks like a nightmare with the road work. My thought was like yours; winter is coming up; won't be able to do much work in the snow for sure.

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trouble is a lot of roads are like that Betty, but obviously King St. is one of the main streets in the town.

      Delete
  6. Not sure I've ever had goose, but with all the trouble I've caused in the past, I know mine would be cooked in no time at all :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I might have known you would come up with that Mork. You should try goose, it is so worth it.

      Delete
  7. For awhile, they were talking about shooting and eating the Canadian geese here as well. Just tooooo many of them and they make a mess of things. I don't mind either way, but if given the chance, I'd try one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoyed it Ivy, but it wouldn't be my choice at any time. The farm bred ones are, IMHOP, much better.

      Delete
    2. Interesting that farm raised are better than wild. When it comes to fish, I won't eat ANY farm-raised and only wild caught. Not that I eat that much fish these days but when I do, it's gotta be wild.

      Have a great weekend and boogie boogie.

      Delete
    3. The wild ones tend to be a bit skinny with not much flesh on them, plus a much stronger taste which I don't enjoy as much. Like you Ivy, I only buy wild caught fish although these days that is so very expensive.

      Boogie boogie to you too

      Delete
    4. I can see the stronger taste not being for everyone. I hear that a lot about wild animals though I'd still like to give it a go.

      Delete
    5. I guess That's true. Although I normally do like game. I didn't dislike Canada Goose, I just prefer the domestic ones.

      Delete
  8. I've never eaten goose. I may have eaten goose liver in pate. Wow, $67. You'd have to really like it. There are road works on the road to the school I work at and I think they've been there all year. It's driving me bonkers so I feel your pain Jo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should try goose unless it is gold plated like ours must be Pinky. I do really like it but....... I feel for the stores as much as anything. If we didn't have medical appointments I doubt we would go near King St. There's one shop I love but haven't been there since the road works started. I guess it would quality as a delicatessen store. Every food you can think of.

      Delete
  9. Goose is so good, but I also like capon, and that can be really expensive here too. That chicken with vermouth sounds/looks amazing. I'm having guests over for dinner in a few weeks, I may give this a try. Sorry about the roadwork, it can be a pain when everything is understruction and nothing seems to be moving forward...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Never really looked for capon here. Lets face it Elise, you live in the country of good food and good cooks although I hear from a friend who lives in Paris that younger Frenchwomen are not learning to cook any more, how tragic.

      You are so right about the roadworks.

      Delete
  10. It is just as bad here with the roads. Everywhere I turn, there is road work being done and going through it is like going through old lumber roads-major holes everywhere. I like goose although it is a bit fatty. I really liked duck but haven't had that in years. This recipe sounds yummy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right lumber roads Birgit. Anything special in your area like the LRT? or just general repairs?

      I love duck and goose. Not so fatty if cooked right. The recipe I used to make certainly was delicious, this looks good too.

      Delete
    2. Oh gosh-there was one street that was blocked for close to a year! They are replacing all the sewage pipes etc.. and major road closures and one lanes, dusty, bumpy and a headache:)

      Delete
    3. We have had several streets blocked for more than 2 years although not all at the same time thank goodness

      Delete
  11. Those roadworks are even worse than here and ours are bad enough. No wonder you're fed up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know and it's been going on for a few years now, first one street and then the next Helen. I cannot imagine what it is costing and I am not sure who is paying, the town, the Province or the Federal government.

      Delete
  12. What a mess on those roadworks! And I thought it was bad here in Montreal! Jo, your recipe is making me hungry! Thank you so much for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has been and still is dreadful Linda. As I keep saying, I am so sorry for the stores. King St. is a major shopping area.

      I want to try this one myself quite soon.

      Delete