Wednesday, May 18, 2016

Silk Stockings, Construction, Bowling.

I caught the tail end of the movie Silk Stockings on TV the other day. It stars Fred Astaire and Cyd Charisse, two of my favourites plus there is a fabulous scene with Peter Lorre holding onto a chair and a table to do the Russian dance, in fact he does it twice. So I thought, I want that. Sadly it is not available on DVD, well it is at $61 which is too rich for my blood, so I have had to settle for the VCR version. It arrived on Tuesday. We watched and enjoyed (or I did, not sure about Matt) it that evening. I cannot see why a film which has been copied on to DVD should cost so much. Ridiculous.

To escape the noise we went bowling on Tuesday afternoon. Matt did well. Wednesday the summer league starts, we are supposed to bowl again on Thursday and Friday I have exercises again. I might well be knackered by the weekend. As it is I took the lazy way out and bought a cooked chicken for Tuesday's supper. I still have to make a salad to go with it mind you. Talking of the construction they still seem to be setting up and have not yet done anything to any of the balconies. If it takes this long to set up every time, I can see why the whole building is going to take so long.

This is a recipe we have enjoyed. It is a type of quiche and pretty easy to make.

Leek and Asparagus Tart


1 (23cm) frozen unbaked deep dish pie crust
1/2 lb fresh asparagus, cut into 5 cm pieces
1 leek, (white part only), sliced
1 Tbs vegetable oil
1 cup shredded Swiss cheese
2 eggs
1/2 cup Hellmann's® Real Mayonnaise
2 tsp Dijon mustard
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp ground black pepper
1/2 cup milk

1. Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C). Partially thaw pie shell (about 10 minutes). Pierce pastry bottom with fork and bake 10 minutes.

2. In skillet, cook asparagus and leek in oil over medium heat until tender, about 5 minutes. Place on bottom of baked pie shell. Top evenly with cheese.

3. In small bowl, whisk together eggs, Hellmann's® Real Mayonnaise, mustard and seasonings. Gradually whisk in milk until smooth. Pour over cheese in pie shell and bake 35 minutes, on lower rack, or until set and lightly browned.

Servings: 4

Source: Hellmann’s®

Author Notes
Add Hellmann’s® Mayonnaise to this tasty tart filling for super moist, egg-y goodness. Brunch is served

Have a great day
 

24 comments:

  1. Sounds like a cute movie; haven't heard of it. I like simple dinners like that and sometimes you have to do it considering the circumstances. We are getting the pool re-done at the house we bought (we knew it didn't it when we bought the house, but we got a great deal). They have to chip out the old plaster to pore the new stuff down the road. The workmen came at 6:15 a.m. this past Saturday morning; scared the "heck" out of me when the doorbell rang at that time (to let us know they were there.) Jack hammers were involved. I'm sure our neighbors hated us (and I don't blame them). Thing is, because we checked, they were perfectly okay to be there that early in the morning. Arizona has an ordinance from May 1st through September 30th work like that can start at 6 a.m. in the morning (to escape some of the heat). Now we can't complain if we are waken up with such a thing for our neighbors. I felt SO bad especially since I had no warning they would be there that early (we were told they were coming that day but no one said what time and I didn't think to ask; a lesson I now will learn to do). I would have warned our neighbors if I knew. Thankfully they were done by 11 a.m., but still it was QUITE noisy.

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a cute movie Betty. It was a musical version of Ninotchka starring Greta Garbo.

      Were you even up at that time of the morning? I bet it was noisy, but at least it didn't last too long.

      Delete
  2. oops; caught a typo, it should say we knew the pool needed it, not what I typed.

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Silk Stockings! Such a great film but that is expensive. I should look here at a store that may have it used and could be much cheaper if they have it. I can look for you if you wish....this was Cyd Charisse's favourite film of hers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a great movie Birgit. I have it now, thanks, but in VHS format. It was the DVD format which was so expensive. I am not surprised it was her favourite, think it's one of mine. I knew you would know the movie.

      Delete
  4. 'Silk Stockings' is a lovely movie but I never seem to get to watch videos these days. Too much to read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Much as I love reading Helen, I have to have a break from it now and again.

      Delete
  5. I'd bet my wife knows that movie though I don't recall having seen it. That dish looks yummy :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a fun movie - a love story I guess Rick. Matt sat through the whole thing last night so I guess it wasn't too bad for him.

      It is yummy.

      Delete
  6. The markets here are full of asparagus. I think of you every time I see them. Asparagus soup for dinner last night. So good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know the area, my time was mainly spent near the coast and coastal canals Denise. How are the tulips? Have you tried Droste chocolate? It's pretty good.

      Delete
  7. Every time I see asparagus for sale I think of you ... can't think why?!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I bet the balcony themselves don't take as much time as the setup.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was thinking much the same thing Alex.

      Delete
  9. Fred Astaire is an amazing dancer.

    The leeks mentioned in this recipe....are they the supermarket kind? That are really big? I ask because one of my friends harvests wild leeks and they look more like scallions than the leeks I see in the store.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the kind you see in the supermarket JoJo, but there is no reason you shouldn't use wild leeks, that, after all, is where leeks originated.

      Delete
  10. I've never seen Silk Stockings. My favourite "old" movie is a comedy called, Dear Ruth. I've been looking for it. Have you seen it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Never heard of it, but Amazon.com has it Pinky. http://www.amazon.com/Dear-Ruth/dp/B0050Z3FPW

      Delete
  11. I've never heard of that movie. I love quiche but I've never had that combo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a pretty old movie Susan, but one I enjoy. I love leeks and use them a lot. They work very well in this quiche.

      Delete
  12. 61 bucks. Ouch. I enjoy those movies. Haven't seen that one though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely ouch Ivy. However, I got my tape for a reasonable amount and it worked fine.

      Delete