Tuesday, July 19, 2016

Balconies, Elections. Balancing Poles,

They have finally finished drilling on the wing across from us so the worst of the noise is over. They are working on the front balconies which we can't really hear from our apartment. However this morning Matt said when they do get to us we should go on vacation, I suggested we should emigrate. Everyone is very unhappy with the whole situation. This morning it looked like one of the balconies or the apartment was on fire; there was so much dust it looked like heavy smoke. Far worse than the picture. Our balcony is thick with dust, the plastic boxes of ornaments etc. we have out there are covered. We will have to be very careful when we get round to unpacking the stuff. Meanwhile, some of the wallpaper is torn in the corridors. I thought we were excluded but I saw one of the corridors leading off from our lobby had a great rip in the paper. I can't believe they have been spending all this money, first on tiling all the lobbies etc. and now on the balconies, but they haven't done anything about the wallpaper.

Yesterday I mentioned the tightrope walker. After several comments I thought I would Google balancing poles. I couldn't find any where, in Canada anyway, to buy one so maybe that is why he isn't using one. There are dozens of books telling one how to do tightrope walking, maybe they also tell you where you can get a pole. I actually think he is setting himself a difficult task because the length of his practice wire (or whatever it is) is quite a distance. He does pretty well to walk as far as he does.

I see the Republican Convention tried a last ditch effort to stop Donald Trump but failed. Looks like you might have a racist, misogynist, bigotted president at the end of the year. Good luck America. I also see a lot of big name Republicans are not attending this convention either. I wonder what will happen when he has to deal with the Queen!! She is a woman, after all, I wonder if he knows that?

This recipe caught my eye today. It is supposed to be a no cook recipe, but it uses pre-cooked chicken so either you have to cook it or buy it cooked. I guess I will have to get myself a rotisserie chicken.

Chicken Fusion Salad

GoodtoKnow

This chicken fusion salad is a delicious, easy recipe that's perfect for using up leftovers from your Sunday roast. With a range of crunchy veggies and sesame seeds and vibrant flavour from mint, chillis and ginger, it takes just 30 minutes to make and the only thing you'll need to cook is the rice noodles. At just 417 calories per serving, it's great as part of a healthy eating plan too

150 g Thai rice noodles
1 lge carrot, peeled (or 3 medium)
1/2 a cucumber, sliced (seedless cucumber)
2 Little Gem lettuces
4-6 sprigs fresh mint
250 g leftover cooked chicken, shredded
2-3 tsp sesame seeds, toasted

For the dressing:
1 good tbsp finely grated fresh ginger
1-2 red chillies, deseeded
3 tbs each red wine vinegar, soy sauce, vegetable oil and sesame oil
.

1. Spread the noodles out in a large dish and pour enough boiling water over them to cover. Leave for 15 mins, stirring occasionally with a large fork or tongs.

2. Peel the carrots into long, thin ribbons straight into a large bowl and add the cucumber slices.

3. To make the dressing: mix the ginger with 1 of the chillies, finely chopped. Add the vinegar, soy sauce and oils.

4. Drain the noodles, then refresh them under cold water, drain again, then add to the carrot and cucumber with almost half the dressing. Mix well with your hands, then add torn outer leaves of lettuce and quartered hearts, tear in the bigger mint leaves and mix lightly.

5. Spread the salad out on a a platter. Mix the chicken with the rest of the dressing and arrange it on the salad. Garnish with small mint leaves, the rest of the chilli, finely sliced, and the toasted sesame seeds.

Servings: 4

Author Notes
Use egg noodles if you don’t have rice noodles and add mangetout or other veg, if you like.

Have a great day
 

20 comments:

  1. I suppose he could make his own pole.
    We'll end up with either a bigot or a criminal. Lose-lose either way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder what they are made of Alex, they are so bendy.

      I don't think of her as a criminal anyway she was exonerated.

      Delete
    2. Well, she wasn't really exonerated, just given a pass. This issue won't go away. There is more than meets the eye or is ignored in the media.

      Delete
  2. The place you live in needs some TLC inside as well. I hope it gets done nice the balconies are over and done with. I would be placing towels under the windows and patio door because that fine dust will go everywhere. I love what you wrote about Trump and pray the idiot doesn't get in. I am more for Clinton and think she is much better than that SOB

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sure does Birgit. The balconies aren't done yet, just the side opposite us. Ours won't get done til at least next year. You are right about the dust.

      I agree with you about Trump and Clinton but many Americans don't think much of either of them.

      Delete
  3. I'm so terrified Trump's going to win. It sickens me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sickens me JoJo and I don't even live in the US.

      Delete
  4. I'm just praying about the election. Its sad that the Republicans couldn't get any what they might call decent people to run or at least win the majority of states. The voters spoke, no one in government is listening.

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I cannot imagine what is going to happen Betty. I feel sorry for all of you.

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  5. So much happening in the world. Now we have two conventions to deal with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really think your politics need simplifying Susan

      Delete
  6. Matt is probably right about a holiday while they do your balconies. As far as politics are concerned it seems a part of the world's population has collectively lost their minds. Trump supporters in the US - and that he is almost certainly going to be the Republican nominee is frankly terrifying, while in the UK the new PM has made some odd appointments and here our new Resources mInister thinks that opening up a huge new coal mine in Queensland near the Great Barrier Reef is 'incredibly exciting' and that there is 'uncertainty' about the cause of climate change.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is somewhat frightening Helen. Not so much what they say as the fact that they have supporters at all. I didn't think anyone mined coal any more. What a terrible thing to open a mine close to the reef.

      Delete
  7. I have a joke you might enjoy...

    If Hilary Clinton and Donald Trump are on an ocean voyage together and the boat sinks in shark infested water, who survives?
    The American people

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good one Liz. From outside we don't see Hilary as being so bad though.

      Delete
  8. Love your comments re: Trump. I feel confident in saying the majority of Aussies share your view. What about the plagiarism thing huh! I hope there is no asbestos in your building. Maybe you should all be wearing masks. If you go on holiday come to Australia. You can stay with us if you can put up with all the dogs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was astounded by the plagiarism thing Pinky. Absolutely incredible that anyone should make such a big mistake. No asbestos I don't think. I would love to come stay with you, I could certainly put up with the dogs. Don't think it will happen though, sadly.

      Delete
  9. Blows my mind as to what some landlords spend money on, when other things need fixed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too Ivy. Fixing wallpaper would be a lot less expensive although I believe he was "told" to do the balconies for safety reasons.

      Delete