Monday, August 29, 2016

Great Barrier Reef, Flank Steak,

Saturday night we watched Coast: Australia. It was particularly about the Great Barrier Reef and they mentioned that Google are helping to finance research of the reef. So, of course, I had to Google. I found lots of YouTube videos of life on the reef. Beautiful and fascinating.



This video is quite long but well worth watching if you are interested in this kind of thing. Obviously I am and I hope you are too. Particularly as the reef is suffering damage and was recently the subject of a fight to prevent oil drilling in the area.

I have mentioned Flank Steak a few times lately. It is a somewhat tougher cut of meat and has to be marinated; the other week Matt threw some away because he said it was too tough to eat. So, I came across the following recipe and thought I would try it. In fact the recipe I found was for pork tenderloin but there was, originally, a note saying Flank Steak could be used, so use it I did. My picture isn't very good I'm afraid. Matt had already started eating plus you cannot see there is rice underneath. I have another serving left and am dithering with whether to re-heat it or serve it cold. It was really delicious and pretty spicy hot. I put all the marinating ingredients into the bag first and then added the meat. less messy.

Korean Bulgogi Flank Steak

A Korean inspired recipe of marinated meat. Easy, quick and delicious. No wonder it's one of Korea's
most beloved meat dishes. Pork tenderloin can be used.

1 lb flank steak
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 Tbs fresh ginger, peeled and grated, about 1 inch piece
¼ cup low sodium soy sauce
1 Tbs red chili flakes
½ pear, grated
1 Tbs sesame oil
1 Tbs light brown sugar
2 green onions, chopped for garnish
2 Tbs vegetable oil, for cooking meat

1. Prepare the beef by cutting it into really thin slices. Place the meat in a ziploc bag. Set aside.

2. In a bowl add the garlic, ginger, soy sauce, chili flakes, pear, sesame oil and brown sugar. Whisk everything together well. Pour the marinade over the beef, close the ziploc bag and shake it around a bit to make sure that the all the meat is covered in the marinade. Let it marinate at room temperature for 30 minutes or refrigerate for up to 8 hours.

3. Add 1 tbsp of the vegetable oil to a large skillet and heat it over medium high heat. Add half of the meat to the skillet and arrange it so that it's in a single layer. Cook it for about 3 minutes without touching the meat, or until the meat starts to brown, almost char, then turn it and cook for another 3 minutes until it's browned on both sides. Remove from skillet to a bowl and set aside.

4. Add the remaining tbsp of vegetable oil and remaining meat along with remaining marinade. Repeat cooking the same as above.

5. Serve over cooked rice or noodles and garnish with chopped green onions.

Servings: 4

Author: Jo Cooks

Author Notes
You can also use boneless skinless chicken thighs or pork tenderloin


Have a great day
 

24 comments:

  1. It would be amazing to see the Great Barrier Reef in person.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wouldn't it Diane? I would love to although there is a very dangerous jelly fish which swims around there and I wouldn't want to meet it.

      Delete
  2. I really wish humans would stop destroying the world for profit. That dish looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You and me both Susan. The dish was delicious, even reheated.

      Delete
  3. Hi Jo! i can't remember where I read that one could have their remains made part of a reef, instead of a ground burial. We don't need to ba drilling there.

    Love the steak recipe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting Dixie, I never heard of that. We sure don't.

      It was delicious.

      Delete
  4. I love Korean food. oh wait I love all food.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Snort. I don't know how genuinely Korean this is Maggie although I have found several recipes on the internet since. Do try this though, it's gooooood.

      Delete
  5. I bet it'd be amazing to see the Great Barrier Reef in person. However, I can't swim, so I can settle for YouTube. HD quality!

    I've always loved bulgogi and always wanted to know how to make it. That actually looks pretty simple. I've got this bookmarked and am definitely going to give it a crack next week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You don't swim Bryan, I am surprised. You could always go in a submersible.

      I was unfamiliar with Bulgogi until I found this recipe. As you say, it's simple and very tasty. I will certainly be making it again.

      Delete
  6. The Great Barrier Reef looks amazing - so sad that it's being damaged the way it is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is sad Fil, but in the video they point out that coral reefs have survived for millions of years.

      Delete
  7. I would guess that the flank steak wouldn't be so tough if cooked in a crock pot?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would imagine so JoJo, but I didn't find it tough anyway. This recipe it certainly isn't tough.

      Delete
  8. That looks easy enough for me to cook. I'd love to visit Australia some day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's easy enough for anyone to cook Truedessa. So would I, I have so many cyber friends there as well.

      Delete
  9. Great that you watched that program, Jo. Yes, the GBR is a hot topic in Oz. It is very subject to extreme weather as you would have seen, not to mention farmers and their dumping of pesticides...grr. It is certainly a beautiful reef, and so long. Many beautiful islands close by. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was especially interested in Google's involvement Denise. Nice to know about. There is so much damage being caused by sheer thoughlessness isn't there. It is so beautiful, especially underwater.

      Delete
  10. This is a great video of the reef and how it needs to be protected. To have an oil rig ne'er by is just beyond stupid. The recipe sounds delicious

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoyed this video Birgit, glad you did too. Isn't it ridiculous. The demand for oil is a big problem all round the world. The recipe is delicious, I will definitely be making it again.

      Delete
  11. I like the photo. Love seeing what you guys are eating.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Won't be too long before I cook it again Ivy. Might try it with pork next time.

      Delete