Tuesday, June 13, 2017

A/C, Movie.

So last night (Sunday) and this morning I did me some panicking. We put the A/C on which, after it had blown fuses a couple of times, was now running. However, by bedtime, it still didn't seem to be much cooler. So I checked the unit and adjusted the cool setting. I waited a while for it  to work and it didn't seem to be blowing cold air at all. Eventually, around 2 a.m. I turned it off and opened the balcony door. I then went to bed and worried about what we could do. When I got up Monday I started phoning around and looking at portable units too. These repair companies certainly want your blood. One wanted $160 for someone to come out but it would be waived if I took their contract. Somebody else quoted $99. I played this game with the lounger chair repair people. Portable units were also looked at but didn't seem to be suitable. In the end I took another look at the settings on our current A/C and realised I had turned them down not up, duuuh. Still it happened about 1 a.m. so I think I can be excused. I was particularly worried because the forecast for today is 31°C plus they are issuing heat warnings, it's supposed to feel like the 40s.

Later I got caught up in watching The Longest Day which I bought for Matt. It is two DVDs and we watched the first one. So it is now bedtime.

Skillet-Baked Eggs and Asparagus

Asparagus and eggs have an affinity for each other. The voluptuous yolk softens and smooths the grassy sharpness of the vegetable, while the asparagus brightens up the dull richness of the egg. The pair’s most classic expression is asparagus hollandaise, but that is too fussy and time-consuming a
preparation for a regular home-cooked breakfast. This dish combines the flavors in a time- and cook-friendly way.

3 Tbs olive oil, more for drizzling
¾ lbs asparagus, trimmed and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
2 scallions, white and light green parts, thinly sliced
8 large eggs
6 Tbs roughly chopped soft herbs like basil, cilantro, chives or parsley use at least 2
? cup heavy cream
2 Tbs grated Parmesan
Salt
black pepper, to taste
Lemon wedges, for serving
Flaky sea salt for sprinkling

1. Heat the oven to 300 degrees. In a large skillet over medium heat, warm the olive oil until shimmering. Add the asparagus and the scallions and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until asparagus is browned and tender.

2. Whisk together the eggs, 4 tablespoons of the herbs, and cream. Whisk in Parmesan, salt and pepper. Pour the egg mixture over asparagus and place the skillet in the oven.

3. Bake for about 20 minutes, until set, but still slightly jiggly in the center. Cool in the pan for about 10 minutes before serving. It is best warm, not hot.

4. Squeeze one or two lemon wedges over it, drizzle with olive oil, and sprinkle with flaky sea salt and remaining herbs. Cut into wedges.

Servings: 4

Author: Melissa Clark
Source: New York Times

Have a great day
 

14 comments:

  1. Oh gosh...I'm glad you found the reason for the AC not working. I made that mistake before and I think just about everyone has.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I claim late night and tiredness Birgit. Saved me a packet finding out what I'd done though.

      Delete
  2. Well, at least your mistake saved you another service call. I had a repairman come out for my washing machine only to realize when he got here that I was pushing the wrong button to start it. DUH!!! It was a busy day I guess and I went brain dead. Funny afterward, not so much when he was here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Luckily Denise. I bet you felt an idiot. I know I would have done. Like the old joke about computer repair when the operator can't see to do something to his machine because the power is out.

      Delete
  3. It's maddening when you make a mistake like that, isn't it, but we all do it. I managed to embarrass myself at hydrotherapy today by carefully watching the instructor then doing the complete opposite - twice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Twice?? Tut tut, your brain must have been wandering Helen. LOL

      Delete
  4. At least it didn't cost you anything.
    So glad we have central air. Units never work properly anyway.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankfully Alex. I can't really complain about this unit Alex, it has fun for 16 years without any trouble. Fingers crossed. Of course central air is much better anyway.

      Delete
  5. It's so weird to read about you being hot when down here in Aussieland I'm freaking freezing! That's a switch! It's officially winter here. I have a love hate relationship with winter. It's lovely when you can stay in bed all day but NOT when you have to get up at 5:30 am!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you get snow on your mountain Pinky? If you do, you should take up cross country skiing, it will improve your relationship with winter.

      Delete
  6. P.S. Can I just say it's so lovely to have a 'penpal' in Canada. I love reading about your life, Jo.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My mouth is watering looking at that recipe! I love asparagus quiche and omelettes, so I bet I'd love this. I'm glad you got your a/c sorted. It's a must have for summer time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it would be good JoJo. Not tried it yet. Running out of time this year too.

      It surely is a must, I just hope we will not be caught unable to use it because of the construction work.

      Delete