Tuesday, August 1, 2017

Balconies, Mandarin,

Monday morning I got the notice saying that we had to have our balcony cleared by Wednesday August 2. I figured that. However, what I didn't like is the Asst. Super who has been involved in the balcony work on behalf of the landlords, said he hoped they would get it done before the winter. I hope so too. I would go crazy if we couldn't use our balcony until next year. It's going to be bad enough as it is. Monday afternoon I went down to exercise class (I remembered this week) and we were all talking about the work. Apart from the ones which were totally finished last year,  there are a lot of balconies which are basically complete but don't have walls. People were talking witholding rent, I was previously thinking reducing what we are paying. If it happens that is. This photo, from last year, shows just about where we are at. They will be building the scaffolding any day now which is what the gravel base is for. All of today they have been carrying all their stuff round to this side

Today we are going Mandarinning again!! Sadly they stopped serving chocolate bacon yesterday, I had been hoping to go with our friends last week but they couldn't make it. Guess we could have gone on our own. Maybe I should try making chocolate bacon myself. We had a fill in teacher at class Monday, she was saying she had spent the weekend pickling beets and canning tomatoes. I was going to give her this blog address but forgot about it at the end.

Eating Well have a diet plan - well in fact they have several which are based on a calorie count. This recipe is one of the things they suggest for supper on one of the days. I thought it looked good. These peppers are actually 401 calories per serving.

Moroccan-Style Stuffed Peppers

Aromatic savory-and-sweet stuffed peppers are a satisfying supper, thanks to lean beef, brown rice and bell pepper in each bite. Serve with rainbow chard sautéed with olive oil, garlic and parsley.

1 8- to 10-ounce bag microwavable brown rice or 1? cups cooked brown rice
4 medium-to-large bell peppers, tops cut off and seeded
1 lb lean (90% or leaner) ground beef
4 cloves garlic, minced
½ cup currants
2 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp ground cinnamon
2 ½ cups low-sodium vegetable juice, such as V8, divided
¼ cup chopped fresh mint, plus more for garnish
1 tsp freshly grated orange zest
¾ tsp salt
¼ tsp freshly ground pepper

1. Heat rice according to package directions. (If using cooked rice, skip to Step 2.) Place peppers upside-down in a microwave-safe round casserole dish just large enough to fit them. Add ½ inch water to the dish and cover with a lid or inverted dinner plate. Microwave on High until the peppers are tender but still hold their shape, 3 to 6 minutes. Drain the water and turn the peppers right-side up. Meanwhile, cook beef and garlic in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat, breaking up the beef with a wooden spoon, until no longer pink, 4 to 6 minutes. Stir in currants, cumin and cinnamon; cook for 1 minute. Stir in the rice and cook for 30 seconds more. Remove from the heat and stir in ½ cup vegetable juice, cup mint, orange zest, salt and pepper. Spoon the beef mixture into the peppers. Pour the remaining 2 cups vegetable juice into the dish and cover. Microwave on High until the juice and filling are hot, 2 to 3 minutes. Serve the peppers with the sauce; garnish with mint, if desired.

Servings: 4

Author: David Bonom
Source: EatingWell Magazine

Have a great day
 

16 comments:

  1. Hi Jo - don't withhold your rent (or any part of it) .. you'll be in breach of your contract - I expect the lease says the owners are entitled to do repairs and maintenance. Take care and enjoy your meal - cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We don't really have a lease Hilary. But you're right, by law we probably shouldn't anyway. I always enjoy the Mandarin as you probably guessed.

      Delete
  2. I hope they don't take that long! That is just crazy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too Alex. I calculate they should be done by the cold weather, but who knows?

      Delete
  3. Look at the bright side - at least you can still live in the building while the work is done. I have some bacon in the fridge that needs using up. Maybe I should make chocolate bacon too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True Denise. We might melt but we can live here LOL. Well you can certainly try it, it is served cold at the Mandarin. I assume you cook the bacon first and then dip it in chocolate.

      Delete
    2. https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/chocolate-covered-bacon

      Delete
    3. White chocolate as well eh? Looks good Denise, thanks.

      Delete
  4. I hope this balcony renewal goes quickly. I don't think withholding rent will help but hinder you but I would check into your rights with the Landlord and Tenant act about construction and how long it should take and what you can do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It certainly won't be quickly Birgit, You're right about checking the Landlord and Tenant act. Actually as some people have been without their balconies since the end of last summer, I don't think I have a lot to grouse about.

      Delete
  5. The uncertainty of the timing would drive my crazy. If I had at least a tentative end date in sight that would help things, but it seems like that is not the case in your balcony project. I know when our pool was getting redone last year, they said it would take 2-1/2 to 3 weeks once they started working on it. It actually took 3-1/2 weeks, but they did keep us updated and we could see a definite end. Good luck! Hope its quicker than expected!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Drives me crazy Betty, but not much I can do about it. I have no power over the construction company. I hope so too.

      Delete
  6. Just write down and document everything said...dates, times, etc. I wouldn't withhold rent but having all the info written down is helpful in case you need to consult a lawyer or battle with the management.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Withholding rent might backfire. They might put up the rent because of the upgrading. I feel for you. It must be a dreadful inconvenience.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. By law they can only increase rent by a certain percentage every year Pinky although I understand the percentage has gone up this year. It's a very noisy inconvenience.

      Delete