Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Merger, Sunflowers for Tina.

tim-hortons-burger-king-dealVery much in the Canadian news at the moment is the proposed merger of Burger King and Canada’s top coffee/donut shop Tim Horton’s. The merger is apparently going through with Tim Horton’s accepting a bid of $94 a share – wish I had some of those shares. Why I am writing about this is I was amused by a picture I saw today of Timbits inside a burger bun. For those of you unfamiliar with Tim Horton’s, Timbits are a bit like the centres of donuts and people often buy them instead. I have also heard cracks about burger bits. I do hope it won’t make too much difference to Tim Horton’s. I don’t patronise Burger King so I don’t know what they are like but Tim Horton’s donuts are often provided for get togethers or our Travel Leagues and it is a treat I usually make room for. Although over the years they have discontinued two of my favourite donuts.

I have just received this from Alex J Cavenaugh -

In memory of Tina Downey, the A to Z Team is hosting a sunflower Sunflowers for Tinatribute on September 8, 2014 – Remembering Tina Downey.
Prior to that date, purchase or plant a sunflower in her honor. (If you have to resort to plastic, that’s cool.) Take a photo of your sunflower and post in in her memory on Monday, September 8. Tina loved her sunflowers, and we want to splash the blogging world with sunflowers that day and honor a truly amazing woman who was friend and family to so many.
You can sign up now or add your link when you post your sunflower.
Please help us spread the word! Let’s brighten the Internet with sunflowers the way Tina brightened the lives of so many.

This will appear on the A to Z blog site and on Alex’s site too with the linky list. Tina’s blog was at http://kmdlifeisgood.blogspot.com/


This recipe came from Incredible Eggs and appealed to me. It seemed like a very easy supper to prepare.

Pad Thai (Thai-Style Noodles, Sprouts and Eggs)


A classic Thai dish. Add tofu or extra vegetables for a filling meatless meal.

Servings: 4 servings

Ingredients

1 cup fresh bean sprouts (3 oz.)
Pad Thai (Thai-Style Noodles, Sprouts and Eggs)
1 jar OR can (7 to 8-3/4 oz.) whole baby corn, drained
1/2 cup sliced green onions
1/4 cup chopped peanuts
1/2 cup fresh straw mushrooms (2 oz.)
4 EGGS
3/4 tsp. garlic powder
4 oz. uncooked rice noodles OR vermicelli pasta, cooked, drained
1/2 cup bottled Pad Thai sauce

Directions

Step 1
COMBINE bean sprouts, baby corn, green onions and peanuts in medium bowl; toss.
Step 2
COAT large nonstick saucepan with cooking spray; heat over medium heat until hot. ADD mushrooms; sauté until tender, 3 to 4 minutes.
Step 3
BEAT eggs and garlic powder in small bowl until blended; pour over mushrooms. COOK, stirring to break up eggs, until eggs are still moist but no visible liquid egg remains.
Step 4
ADD noodles, sauce and bean sprout mixture. COOK, tossing gently with 2 spoons, until heated through.

Have a great day
Jo_thumb[2]

12 comments:

  1. Hi Jo - can't say I'm fond of any fast food at all and avoid at all costs - but interesting to know about - I hadn't realised Horton's was Canadian .. I'm sure when I was over in '76 in the States we used them on our way up NYState ...

    The Thai style Noodles look good ... and I have them occasionally.

    Now Tina - that's great we're setting a sunflower day aside for her .. cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too Hilary but I do enjoy the occasional donut. They are a very different item from what we used to have in the UK when I lived there. Of course English donuts could have changed in the last 40 years too. Tim Horton was a Canadian ice hockey player once upon a time.

      I love noodles.

      Glad you have added your name Hilary.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for spreading the news about the tribute.
    Recipe sounds good!
    Dunkin Donuts calls those Munchkins I believe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Least I can do Alex. Although I seem to have goofed with the Linky List.

      Never been in a Dunkin Donuts. I do try not to actually go in these places as donuts appeal to me too much. I can hear them calling my name.

      Delete
  3. Thanks Jo, I just posted mine as well on my blog...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I shot some pretty sunflower pics yesterday that I will use on the 8th for my Tina post. I am pretty bummed about Timmies being bought out by BK. I cannot believe TH agreed to it at all. I was able to get some timbits once in Vancouver BC (there were NO Tim Hortons stores in Victoria at all....the closest was in Colwood). Here in the states we call them donut holes and at Dunkin Donuts they are called Munchkins. When I told my ex I wanted Timbits, he thought it was like popcorn chicken or something.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not too sure about what will happen with Timmies from now on. I hope it stays more or less the same.

      Munchkins sounds a pretty good name.

      Delete
  5. I've heard a lot about the merger and the loss of tax money here in the US. I never would have guessed your tax rate is lower than ours. Makes you wonder where all the money goes and why politicians pay millions of dollars to get a job that pays a few hundred thousand.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't know anything about the loss of tax money Elizabeth, but I do know Timmies is a Canadian company. Didn't know our taxes were lower than yours, that does surprise me.

      Who knows why politicians do anything?

      Delete
  6. I'm a big fan of Tim Horton's and hoping I'll see some stores pop up in my area. I'll probably be waiting a long time though.

    Pad Thai--one of my favorite dishes. I'll probably stick to getting it at my local Thai restaurant rather than try to make it myself.

    Tina would be thrilled to see the ways she's being honored. I wish she were still here with us to see this. And then merrily carry on with the things she was so known for doing. I'm but one of many who will miss her greatly.

    Lee
    Tossing It Out

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You never know Lee, this merger may cause some to come to your area. Here we are swamped with them.

      Whilst this is not a true Pad Thai, I think it sounds like a good dish.

      Wouldn't she had been thrilled, but then it wouldn't have happened if she hadn't died. So very sad.

      Delete